Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australia gives Knighthood to Prince Philip - er, ... A Prince Philip appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia gives Knighthood to Prince Philip - er, ... A Prince Philip appreciation thread

It's only our new silly bunyip knighthoods.

In some ways Philip is perfect - he makes a mockery of just about anything or anyone he comes into contact with.

1. China State Visit, 1986

If you stay here much longer, you’ll all be slitty-eyed.

2. To a blind women with a guide

“Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?”

3. To an Aborigine in Australia

“Do you still throw spears at each other?”

4. To his wife, the Queen, after her coronation

“Where did you get the hat?”

5. When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union

“The bastards murdered half my family”

6. To a Briton in Budapest

“You can’t have been here that long – you haven’t got a pot belly.”

7. To a driving instructor in Scotland

“How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?”

8. After the Dunblane shooting

“If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?”

9. To a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea

“You managed not to get eaten, then?”

10. To Elton John after hearing Elton had sold his Gold Aston Martin

“Oh, it’s you that owns that ghastly car – we often see it when driving to Windsor Castle.”

11. On the London Traffic Debate

“The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop tourism, we could stop the congestion.”

12. To the President of Nigeria, dressed in traditional robes

“You look like you’re ready for bed!”

13. Unknown

“If you see a man opening a car door for a woman, it means one of two things: it’s either a new woman or a new car!”

14. On key problems facing Brazil

“Brazilians live there”

15. To the matron of a hospital in the Caribbean

“You have mosquitos. I have the Press”
    Perfect choice Monarchists
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

14. On key problems facing Brazil

“Brazilians live there”

that reminds of a braizlian joke, which goes something like this

god and an angel are talking, as god explains his new creation: brazil.

angel: wow so no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no volcanoes, forests, rivers, a rich and fertile land, this place will be paradise.

and god smiles and says: just wait and see the people i'm going to put there.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

That's okay, fuckface (I'm speaking to Phil... because he reads poly)... your country helped ship serbs (fighting with the allies) to the communists in yugoslavia so they could also be killed

SO IT ALL WORKS OUT IN THE END

royal shitbag

as a matter of principle, everyone with a royal title should be shot and burnt in a pit stripped of their title and all assets returned to the people... in the form of revenue from the sale or use of said assets

freedom
      royalty
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Another nail in the coffin of PM Abbott it seems.

Tony Abbott would have done well to watch the Showtime series The Borgias over summer.If so he might have noticed Pope Alexander VI, making a salient point about leadership and hanging on to it.

Tony Abbott would have done well to watch the Showtime series The Borgias over summer.

If so he might have noticed Pope Alexander VI, making a salient point about leadership and hanging on to it.

"Do you know what is more poisonous than failure in war or politics?" the Borgia Pope asks his son rhetorically, "Ridicule!"

Under siege from enemies inside the Vatican and beyond, the embattled pontiff, (supposedly) understood that the derision which flows from the loss of public respect, erodes prestige far more effectively than some remote military setback ever could.

It is a lesson our monarchist prime minister and former student of the church of Rome, might well consider. Already vulnerable over his idiosyncratic revival of British imperial honours - itself a captain's call from a 2014 heavy with poor judgment calls - Abbott can ill-afford to alienate his colleagues right now.

Yet his bizarre selection of the husband of the British monarch for Australia's top civic award has done just that.

Ridicule abounds. His own MPs are variously bemused and appalled. One minister offering the simple, "I'm speechless" as a marker of incredulity.

Words such as crazy, nutty, and needlessly provocative were also used. An MP from the conservative right of the party in Mr Abbott's home state, predicted it would spark fresh questioning of the Prime Minister's suitability for the job.

A change seems unlikely but it is the cumulative risk of errors.

Social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook went into a frenzy. Abbott dismissed them as "electronic graffiti".

Such thinking is wishful at best.

Inevitably Abbott was grilled about who had been consulted, and why it was that no Australian other than the former Chief of Defence Forces, Angus Houston, had been found.

Tellingly, even though it was his call and had been announced just hours before, Abbott seemed annoyed and eager to move discussion on to other matters.

There's little chance of that happening inside the Coalition though, with MPs expected to explain what many do not support and cannot understand.

As Fairfax Media reported on Saturday, Abbott has been ringing his colleagues at the start of 2015 as part of a new consultation-based approach to governing.

Yet this is precisely the kind of left-field bombshell that has made the government look ideologically hide-bound and out of touch with mainstream thinking.

Prince Philip's knighthood all but swamped Houston's appointment and saw Rosie Batty's selection of Australian of the Year also overwhelmed.

"Another defeat" grumbled a Liberal MP, as the evidence piles up that 2015 will be no easier then 2014.
        Prince Philip is pure political poison.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

hmmm

is a knighthood a demotion for him?
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Prince Philip is a legend.

Comment

well kind of, it just looks silly

Comment

This seems extremely reasonable to me.

8. After the Dunblane shooting

“If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?”

Also a very good point.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Also, let's be fucking serious for a minute, all of those quotes are awesome. This is a man who isn't afraid to say things how they are. Make him dictator for life.

Comment

Oh I like Prince Philip - the royal troll - thus the appreciation thread

Those quotes are just the tip of the iceberg

Comment

I am rather confused at how giving the husband of the queen a knighthood is somehow impolitic for a country that is nominally a monarchy.

From what I've heard about Abbott, I rather like him, he seems like less of a moron than the woman you had running the country previously. But I don't know too much about him.

Comment

Prince Philip is a prince - knights rank lower and he has dozens of them - it's even odd from a monarchist viewpoint

Comment

Ah. Well at least no one is throwing sandwiches at him.

Comment

Prince Philip's royal titles

The Prince's style and title in full: His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Grand Master and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Additional Member of the Order of New Zealand, Extra Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Royal Chief of the Order of Logohu, Extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada, Extraordinary Commander of the Order of Military Merit,[3] Canadian Forces Decoration, Lord of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Privy Councillor of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty, Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom.[
                            the full list of his honours and awards is here, they run to several pages

Comment

how much has supporting that man and his welfare queen cost the UK?
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X