Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australia gives Knighthood to Prince Philip - er, ... A Prince Philip appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sava View Post
    how much has supporting that man and his welfare queen cost the UK?
    Nothing, they bring in far more than any money spent. The money that maintains them was also agreed in exchange for them giving up money from crown lands (IIRC).

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
      Nothing, they bring in far more than any money spent. The money that maintains them was also agreed in exchange for them giving up money from crown lands (IIRC).
      Nope. They are a drain on the country.

We've already had this conversation once. And you lost. If you want a repeat, just drop your drawers and spread your cheeks.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

besides, they are also at the "top of the pyramid" with regards to the money that royal assets bring in

they are literally the most useless people in the organization... let alone the entire country

and perhaps world
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You don't understand Sava. The queen with her reserve powers protects England from devolving into a dictato....nope. Can't keep a straight face.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm sure the UK would cease to exist as a political entity if they didn't have the queen and prince phillip running all those money-making royal assets.

I mean... sure, the government could hire a qualified executive to run things... for probably not more than a low six-figure salary

BUT THAT'S CRAZY TALK HA

everyone knows hundreds of years of inbreeding leads to awesome business skills and experience
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The clue to what really happened may be in Prince Philip's titles - he has the senior award from all the Dominions - Canada, NZ - the Palace may have suggested he needed the Australian knighthood to complete the set.

If true, the delicious irony is Abbott has to wear the mockery because, as a good royalist, he can't say anything which may bring the monarchy into political dispute.

Yet another reason to appreciate Prince Philip, good going old boy
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                  Nope. They are a drain on the country.

We've already had this conversation once. And you lost. If you want a repeat, just drop your drawers and spread your cheeks.
                  Ah you mean the 'conversation' where I pointed out the huge boosts they provide in tourism, trade influence and various other things and you stuck your fingers in your ears and went 'NAH NAH NAH, MONARCHS ARE BADDDDDDD!!!'? Yes, I remember how compelling a case you made.

Comment

The USA - a country in search of a monarchy

The royals get fawned over more there than anywhere else.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post

that reminds of a braizlian joke, which goes something like this

god and an angel are talking, as god explains his new creation: brazil.

angel: wow so no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no volcanoes, forests, rivers, a rich and fertile land, this place will be paradise.

and god smiles and says: just wait and see the people i'm going to put there.
                      I've heard the Canadian and English equivalents. The tagline being ""Wait til you see the southern neighbours I'm giving them".
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Prince Philip, a life of service - and gaffes

Here is a selection of his most notable quotes as he offers his own unique advice to people all over the world.

Speaking about the rate of British tax, he said: "All money nowadays seems to be produced with a natural homing instinct for the Treasury."

On seeing an exhibition of "primitive" Ethiopian art, he muttered: "It looks like the kind of thing my daughter would bring back from her school art lessons."

The Duke famously proclaimed: "British women can't cook".

When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union: "I would like to go to Russia very much, although the bastards murdered half my family."

The Duke said to Tom Jones after his Royal Variety Performance: "What do you gargle with, pebbles?".

He later added: "It is very difficult at all to see how it is possible to become immensely valuable by singing what I think are the most hideous songs."

On the Royal Family's finances: "We go into the red next year. I shall probably have to give up polo."

On a tour of Canada: "We don't come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves."

During the recession he mused: “Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed."

When accepting a figurine from a woman during a visit to Kenya he asked: "You are a woman aren't you?"

He told a World Wildlife Fund meeting that "if it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and flies but is not an aeroplane and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it."

Prince Philip's opinion of Beijing, during a tour of China in 1986, was simply: "Ghastly."

To a British tourist in Hungary in he quipped: "You can't have been here that long — you haven't got a pot belly."

To survivors of the Lockerbie bombing he told them: "People usually say that after a fire it is water damage that is the worst. We are still drying out Windsor Castle."

"Aren't most of you descended from pirates?", he asked an islander in the Cayman Islands.

To a Caribbean rabbit breeder in Anguilla, he said: "Don't feed your rabbits pawpaw fruit — it acts as a contraceptive. Then again, it might not work on rabbits."

He asked a Scottish driving instructor in Oban: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?"

Following the Dunblane massacre, he questioned the need for a firearms ban: "If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?"

The Duke asked a British student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea: "You managed not to get eaten then?"

In Cardiff he told children from the British Deaf Association, who were standing by a Caribbean steel band: "If you're near that music it's no wonder you're deaf".

To guests at the opening reception of a new £18million British Embassy in Berlin: "It's a vast waste of space."

At a Buckingham Palace drinks party, he told group of female Labour MPs: "Ah, so this is feminist corner then."

On being offered fine Italian wines by Giuliano Amato, the former Prime Minister, at a dinner in Rome, he is said to have uttered: "Get me a beer. I don't care what kind it is, just get me a beer!"

"People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans."

To Elton John: "Oh it's you that owns that ghastly car is it? We often see it when driving to Windsor Castle."

While touring a factory near Edinburgh he said a fuse box was so crude it "looked as though it had been put in by an Indian".

To Australian Aborigines during a visit to Australia with the Queen he asked: "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

To the Aircraft Research Association, he said: "If you travel as much as we do, you appreciate the improvements in aircraft design of less noise and more comfort, provided you don't travel in something called economy class, which sounds ghastly."

2009 Said to black dance troupe Diversity at the Royal Variety Performance: "Are you all one family?"

To a young fashion designer at Buckingham Palace he told him: "You didn't design your beard too well, did you? You really must try better with your beard."

On asking a female Sea Cadet what she did for a living, and being told that she worked in a nightclub (as a barmaid), the Duke asked “Is it a strip club?” Observing her surprise he dismissed the suggestion saying that it was “probably too cold for that anyway”.

At a prize-giving ceremony for the Duke of Edinburgh Awards a girl told him that she'd been to Romania to help in an orphanage. He replied: "Oh yes, there's a lot of orphanges in Romania - they must breed them".

On approaching his 90th birthday: "Bits are beginning to drop off".

To the managing director of a wind farm company, the prince said wind turbines were "absolutely useless" and "an absolute disgrace".

When meeting a 60-year-old disabled man: "How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?" David Miller, a trustee of the Valentine Mansion in Redbridge, said he took no offence.

Others that are undated:

"YOU have mosquitos. I have the Press."
                        - To the matron of a hospital in the Caribbean.

"If it doesn't fart or eat hay then she isn't interested"
                        - speaking about his daughter, Princess Anne.

"Can you tell the difference between them?"
                        - The Duke's question after President Barack Obama said he met with the leaders of the UK, China and Russia.

"The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop the tourism, we could stop the congestion."
                        - on London traffic.

"Well, you'll never fly in it, you're too fat to be an astronaut."
                        - to a 13-year-old whilst visiting a space shuttle. The boy cried.

“You look like you’re ready for bed!”
                        - To the President of Nigeria, dressed in traditional robes.
                        If I had to quietly follow my wife around for 60 years I'd be grumpy too

Comment

Nothing, they bring in far more than any money spent.

A claim rarely backed up with any remotely convincing figures. And I use the word "rarely" where everyone else would use "never".
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

To put it in context, has any tourist, ever, gone "While Egypt's rich historical and cultural trappings are indeed impressive, the fact remains that those pyramids just aren't the same without Pharaohs around any more. Let's go to Denmark instead!"?
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Ah you mean the 'conversation' where I pointed out the huge boosts they provide in tourism, trade influence and various other things and you stuck your fingers in your ears and went 'NAH NAH NAH, MONARCHS ARE BADDDDDDD!!!'? Yes, I remember how compelling a case you made.
                              Yes. Where you pointed out a bunch of things the royal family HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH

That thread. Where you lost this very argument.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                                To put it in context, has any tourist, ever, gone "While Egypt's rich historical and cultural trappings are indeed impressive, the fact remains that those pyramids just aren't the same without Pharaohs around any more. Let's go to Denmark instead!"?
                                If I had a thanks left, I'd give it.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X