Norgesveldet – A history of the Norwegian kings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norgesveldet – A history of the Norwegian kings

In case someone is interested in reading some Crusader Kings II fan fic, I've just started an AAR over at Paradox's AAR forums.

I'm writing about the kings of Norway, and here is the first chapter:

Haraldr I «Fairhair»
    (866-898)

Haraldr, the first of the Norwegian kings, is well known for any Norwegian citizen. When he set out to unite the Norwegian petty kingdoms, he famously swore to not cut his hair before he had succeeded in doing so. After gathering his host, he set out on a long journey, a journey that left the Viking world changed forever.

The lands held by the petty king of Østlandet, Haraldr, in 867.

Family
    Haraldr married only one woman, the love of his life, Røgnhildr. He was a lustful man however, and through his life he had at least five concubines. Four were brought in from neighbouring Viking lands, but the fourth, Wynnflæd, was a Christian slave bought from a petty kingdom on the British Isles.

The first of the concubines, Astrid, faced the wrath of the then petty king when she bore the child of a neighbouring noble, and ended her life in the dungeons of his castle.

With his wife and his concubines, Haraldr bore nine children that we know of:
    Halfdan
    Dyre
    Thorolfr
    Kraka
    Tyke
    Asta
    Thordr
    Saga
    Ormr

The second of these children, Dyre, would ultimately succeed him as the king of Noregr, or Norgesveldet as the empire of medieval Norway is known as to modern day Norwegians.

His reign

In a lightning campaign of just eight years, Haraldr united all of modern day Norway, except the southern tip, which was held by the mighty petty kings of Jylland, in modern day Denmark.
    He dared not yet declare himself king of a united Norway though, as according to the sagas he was warned by Odin himself that he had yet to prove himself worthy of the title. Not content with merely controlling the Norwegian lands, he then set his eyes on the lands of the Swedes. The northern Swedish tribes fell fast, but in 874 the warrior king suddenly changed focus and went in Viking to the shores of the British Isles.

For four years he looted the country side of the British kingdoms, and in 878 the sagas tell that Odin himself visited the king’s tent and gave him his blessings. That same year the Norwegian jarls assembled on the ting and declared Haraldr I “Fairhair” the king of Noregr.

The following twelve years, the king seemingly changed his ways and did little of warring. Emissionaries were sent to the settlers of the islands of the Vikings in the North Sea, and all but one accepted him as their lawful king.
    Old habits die hard though, and in 890 a massive invasion of the British Isles were initiated, led by Haraldr himself. After securing a beachhead in northern Scotland, all of the Catholic counts of Ireland was issued an ultimatum; submit or die. All counts refused to submit, and war engulfed the Emerald Island for the next decade. The sole peaceful place was the small jarldom in the east, which was led by a relative of Haraldr.

The campaign was a huge success, one by one the counties’ armies were defeated and their lands taken. However, in mid 898 the conquering army was met by a united host of equal strength, and during battle the Viking king was hit by an arrow. Hours later the king was dead, his armies fleeing and the kingdom laid in the hands of his sickly heir and son, Dyre I.

Norgesveldet at the time of king Haraldr I’s death in 898.

Aftermath
    Contemporary Christian sources show a mixed sense of dread and awe for the conquering Viking king. Within a few decades, the divided tribes of the North was to a large degree united under one mighty warrior, and the Catholic bastion of Ireland was all but fallen to the invaders.

To modern day Norwegians, Haraldr is seen as one of the most important Norwegian ever, uniting their country for the first time and laying the groundwork for the modern nation state.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Give us a link to the AAR, you vile viking raider.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I forgot to add it? Darn, I must be more tired than I thought.

Here, heathen scum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...orwegian-kings
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Followed.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

When do you get the bit where the Norwegians are finally forced back into their fjords?
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

With my luck and skills, sooner than you'd think...

Posted another chapter btw.

Comment

You'll only post it over there?
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

If there is interest, I'll post it here too. As a matter of fact, I'll post the new update here right now:

Dyre I
                  (898-901)

Where his father Haraldr is well known for any Norwegian child, Dyre I is mostly forgotten by the general populace. His rule was short, and if he’s known for anything, it’s emptying the swimming coffers of his father in the search of filling his shoes.

Family
                  Dyre was married to one Atpælha, little is known about this woman. He took no concubines and sired no children that we know of.

His reign
                  Little is known about Dyre before his ascencion to power, other than that he was prone to sickness his whole life. He was well liked by the chiefs however, and when his father died on the battlefield, he was quickly raised to the throne by his peers. It also might have helped that he was present in Ireland when the fateful arrow his his sire.

After the death of Haraldr, however, the army of his was soundly beaten and scattered. Dyre sent his troops on ships back to his lands in Northern Scotland and hurredly went back to Norway to hire fresh troops. Before he went, he swore a holy oath that he would not rest before his father’s realm was covering all of Ireland. In the meantime, the Irish wreaked havoc on his conquests. A year later, however, the tide was turned, when Dyre returned with a mighty army of Viking warriors and mercenaries. The Irish were soundly beaten, and in the next two years Ireland was subjugated, one county at a time.

During this time, Dyre was constantly sick, and getting sicker. Modern historians do not know what sickness he had, and research has led to no firm determination of what he had. We do know, however, that this sickness ultimately took his life a December day 901. His brother and second in command, Halfdan, was quickly raised to kinghood.

The state of Norgesveldet at the death of Dyre I.

Aftermath
                  Dyre had a short reign, and his lasting legacy was twofold. For one, he secured Ireland for Norway, by the time he died the last strongholds of the Irish counts were under siege. For the other, he emptied his kingdom’s coffers in his quest to subjugate Ireland, leaving his brother and heir in a precarious situation.

To modern day Norwegians, Dyre is little known, living in the shadow of his father and his brother, respectively.

Comment

posting it here
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Cool, thanks Nikolai
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

What's your source for this? I can't reconcile it with Anglo-Saxon or Scottish records on a number of counts. These are the problems-

1- I think you're about 20-30 years too early with your dates for Harald's reign. His son Haakon was raised in the court of Athelstan, which would put his birth around 920AD (20 years after your date of death for Harald).

2- In your list of offspring for Harald, you don't mention Haakon or Erik Bloodaxe. Both are listed as sons of Harald by the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, and they were both hugely significant characters in British history.

3- The "British" kingdoms of circa 880AD were actually the Welsh Kingdoms, Cornwall and Strathclyde. The rest of what is now "Britain" was the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of what is now England, Dal Riatan "Scotland" and the remnants of Pictland.

4- There certainly were Norse incursions into the Scottish islands in the late 9th century, but they weren't headed by Harald. Most were various displaced claimants from Norway's civil war that preceded Harald's reign. Harald turned up later in pursuit of these rivals, rather than a bout of "Viking"- which means his arrival is far more in character with his later reign rather than a weird and sudden lapse into Viking exploits.

5- The 10-year period after 890 was actually a period of consolidation and increasing power for the Irish High King Flann Sinna, culminating in the Danes being driven out of Dublin in 902AD.

6- I think some of the exploits around Scotland and Ireland that you refer to were actually the work of Sigurd Riki and Thorstein Raudr.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Hm? This is CK, an alt-history game
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Yes, but leaving Erik Bloodaxe off Harald's list of sons is like saying of Henry VII "we know nothing of any of his sons". It's Erik Bloodaxe, man.

Comment

Oh I see. It's not history at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X