No announcement yet.

Congratulations Anti-vaxers. Measles spreading in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You either. But I guess you find being retarded amusing.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I'm too old for schoolyard taunts

Comment

• I'm not taunting. I honestly believe you are retarded.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• He is just sadly mistaken. Though I must say most people wouldn't pontificate on a subject they didn't know much about.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• If you're looking for something that interferes with the evolution of a more robust species, there's no reason to restrict it to just vaccines. Much of medicine keeps people alive who would otherwise have died from genetic causes. Sometimes, these people breed, and I should think that would cause far greater aggregate damage to the gene pool than vaccination.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
              The bug evolved from something in a natural reservoir and it will in the future, but vaccination programs will ensure lower herd immunity in that future if the vaccines dont work. Do you disagree?
              The likelihood that an identical virus will evolve is extraordinarily low, and even if it does, since we have preserved specimens of the virus then we should be able to produce a vaccine in short order - that's why we're preserving specimens of the virus. Furthermore we stopped vaccinating against small pox how long ago? I'd like to point out that even amongst Europeans, whom we're claiming we're more resistant than American Indians, the fatality rate was 40 to 60% during some epidemics in the 19th century. Obviously repeated exposure of the European population to this virus didn't result in that much resistance and not vaccinating against this highly lethal agent. Viruses can mutate faster than people. Vaccines can protect us from that. (Note, HIV is an exception, it mutates faster than we can produce new vaccines, all we've been able to do is keep the victims alive. How's evolution working out there?)

What did he say about vaccines and evolution? Did he say a vaccine will afford the same protections for your distant descendents as an evolutionary immunity you acquired from your distant ancestors?
              In some instances the "evolutionary immunity" to a virus may be a tendency to produce antibodies faster in response to the appearance of the disease. Vaccines do the same thing. So what's your point? The difference is that with a vaccines you don't have to lose 50% of your population over and over again in order to arrive at that point.
              Can you imagine what it was like to live at a time when your precious son or daughter had less than a 50% chance to survive to adulthood? Imagine that you lived in a community where within your memory the population of the local elementary school had been wiped out by smallpox, polio, measles, rubella, etc. Would you send your child to school?
              As a point of fact pre-20th century people were getting sick "all the time", that's why so many of their children died. If it wasn't smallpox it was polio, cholera, measles, rubella, typhus, mumps, etc. If you go on line you should be able to verify that. Smallpox epidemics struck the US every 30 to 50 years. People in those days bred like flies. They had to. Women died before men did. It was that 10th pregnancy that did it.
              Many years ago I was browsing at a bookshop when I came across a copy of a late 19th century book entitled "Greatest English Poems on All Time". It had a large section devoted to children's poems. I bought it thinking it would be great to read to my kids. I should have inspected it more closely. When I read through the children's poems I discovered to my horror that every single freaking poem was about dead kids. Every single one! Can you begin to imagine the mentality of such a culture?
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                If you're looking for something that interferes with the evolution of a more robust species, there's no reason to restrict it to just vaccines. Much of medicine keeps people alive who would otherwise have died from genetic causes. Sometimes, these people breed, and I should think that would cause far greater aggregate damage to the gene pool than vaccination.
                Wait, how about automobiles? Trucks? Remote controls? Electricity? Power tools? Computers? Washing Machines? Gas heat? Oil heat? Grocery stores? The list just goes on and on and on!

ISIS just isn't going far enough! It's time for every man and woman concerned about the future of humanity to be concerned! Any society in which child mortality is less than 50% or average life expectancy greater than 50 years of age is weak and corrupt. This world must be purified!
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                  Wait, how about automobiles? Trucks? Remote controls? Electricity? Power tools? Computers? Washing Machines? Gas heat? Oil heat? Grocery stores? The list just goes on and on and on!

ISIS just isn't going far enough! It's time for every man and woman concerned about the future of humanity to be concerned! Any society in which child mortality is less than 50% or average life expectancy greater than 50 years of age is weak and corrupt. This world must be purified!
                  How about this:
                  Between the age of 6 and 20 every person has to undergo an "Immune test" every 2 years ... that is s/he is injected with a mixture of different potential deadly diseases (different ones for every test).
                  The result being either dead by those diseases (=Test failed), or survival (=Test passed).

Only a small percentage of persons may pass all of these tests till their 20s ... but those people are perfect breeding material with regards to disease immunity.

Within 1-2 generations we would not only have solved the problem of many diseases, without having to resort to vaccinations ... but also the problem of overpopulation.

Of course it may be that with this measure we kill off our intellectual capacity, especially if perhaps, the genetic factors that are beneficial for the development of a high IQ are at the same time coupled with genetic factors that weaken your immune system ... but hey, we have to set priorities
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Good work, anti-vax *******s.

First North American Measles Death Since 2003

For the first time in twelve years the United States has experienced a death from measles. You know, that disease that had pretty much been wiped out before the anti-vaccination movement brought it back. The tragic news comes less than a week after the first death from diphtheria in Spain in 28 years, also a direct result of the lies spread by anti-vaccinators.

In the Spanish case, the boy who died had not been protected against the disease because his parents had been “tricked” by opponents of the process. The situation is somewhat different for the Clallam County, Washington, woman who has now died of measles.

The woman in this case suffered from a compromised immune system, as a result of the medications she was taking for other conditions, according to the Washington State Department of Health. Consequently, she was vulnerable to infectious diseases, and relied on the herd immunity of the wider community to protect her.

As a result of increased numbers of people refusing to vaccinate their children, most often because they have believed myths spread by anti-vaccine campaigners, this herd immunity is falling. This has led to outbreaks such as the one spread at Disneyland last year. It also led to a person with a rash, which was later found to be measles, attending the same healthcare clinic as the dead woman. It is suspected that this was where the infection took place.

“This tragic situation illustrates the importance of immunizing as many people as possible to provide a high level of community protection against measles,” said Washington State Department of Health spokesperson Donn Moyer . “People with compromised immune systems cannot be vaccinated against measles. Even when vaccinated, they may not have a good immune response when exposed to disease; they may be especially vulnerable to disease outbreaks.”

Unusually, the Clallam woman did not show easily recognized symptoms of measles such as a rash. Consequently, it was only at the autopsy that health officials realized that the cause of death was measles-induced pneumonia. To protect her identity, the woman's age has not been released, but her compromised immune system was not the result of age.

Washington health officials have urged vaccination, stating, “If you’re not protected, you can get measles just by walking into a room where someone with the disease has been in the past couple of hours.” The contrast with Ebola, a disease that is actually quite hard to catch yet arouses far more fear, is striking. Alternatively, you can take your medical advice from a pretend pet detective.

Clallam County has now experienced six cases of measles this year, with another five elsewhere in Washington. All Clallam County cases, including the woman who died, are of the D9 strain of measles. Recent outbreaks have been even more widespread in Canada, but there have so far been no deaths as a result.
                    http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...les-death-2003

Comment

• Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                      X