Obama Goes Full Commie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
    The obvious answer to this is that the state should pay. It amazes me that this even needs to be questioned...

No one should be held back from achieving their potential due to an inability to pay for their education.

Currently in the US, and increasingly in the UK, access to further education is essentially an elitist pastime.
    now that we've turned education into a desirable product and students into customers, it may be rather hard to pull back.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
      The obvious answer to this is that the state should pay. It amazes me that this even needs to be questioned...

No one should be held back from achieving their potential due to an inability to pay for their education.

Currently in the US, and increasingly in the UK, access to further education is essentially an elitist pastime.
      The problem with this line of reasoning is that it's hard to stop coming up with things the state should pay for. I mean, maybe I can only fully realize my potential if I'm in pristine psychological health, which means that I should have free access to stress-relieving recreational activities (video games), adequate mental stimulation (books), a support network (friends for hire?), and sexual satisfaction (a harem).
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
        A trillion to pay the students, or a trillion to kill Iraqis - I think the answer is clear, killing Arabs is the obvious priority, unless you are a communist.
        Of course ...
        which makes sense, after all it is the industry (among them the weapons industry, which profits from wars) who sponsors the big parties, not the students from poor families (or their parents)
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Inner peace is all you need

However, there is this sticky thing about the system you live in and how it affects that inner peace.
          So you have two choices, either you become a budhist and accept your lot in life, or you fight (or at least educate yourself).

I know that sounds very cocky and is actually very difficult to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
            The problem with this line of reasoning is that it's hard to stop coming up with things the state should pay for. I mean, maybe I can only fully realize my potential if I'm in pristine psychological health, which means that I should have free access to stress-relieving recreational activities (video games), adequate mental stimulation (books), a support network (friends for hire?), and sexual satisfaction (a harem).
            Sounds good to me
            "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Well, good luck convincing everyone else of that.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You were being deliberately obtuse, so I responded in kind.
                "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

I'm not arguing that Obamacation™ is not a good thing, just that we need clearer, more concrete criteria for what the state "should" pay for.

Comment

I'm hoping they write this into the next season of "Community".
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm not arguing that Obamacation™ is not a good thing, just that we need clearer, more concrete criteria for what the state "should" pay for.
                      the answer was in every revolution. bread education freedom. i realize there are different approaches to it

Comment

Um, I think I made it clear. You were the one who decided to muddy the waters with free prostitutes (sorry, state-subsidised prostitutes).

Whilst I like that idea, we must be realistic in presuming that it's a non-starter.

Comment

Working...
                        X