Yet another damn terrorist attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another damn terrorist attack

A major manhunt is under way in Paris for three gunmen who shot dead 12 people at the office of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

Men with AKs shot up a French satirical magazine shortly after it made fun of IS. Eleven dead (so far), gunmen still at large. Not sure what these guys intend to accomplish by all this--maybe they just couldn't stand the thought that so many Western countries weren't bombing them?--but it's a sad day for France.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

There are certainly a lot of reasons to go on a murderous rampage, but having no sense of humor seems like a pretty terrible one.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I think the answer is: stopping them from writing satirical stuff again?

Those Texan parents in the other thread definitely won't be letting their children come to Paris now...
      "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Not good at all.
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

apparently the death toll is up to 12 now. very sad and absolutely outrageous.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Am I safe to leave my office yet?
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Among the victims is Carb, the French cartoonist who made a name drawing cartoons of the Prophet.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Very sad indeed

Comment

I feel reminded of the death of Theo van Gogh who was killed by an islamist because he made a movie that was critical with regards to the treament of women in Islam ... and of the fatwa on the danish cartoonist who drew cartoons of Muhammed.
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

That magazine wasnt known for particularly caring about being politically correct which was a breath of fresh air even if it could make you cringe sometimes iirc.
                      I'm afraid it will turn out the killers came from the banlieus. Artificial cities in the middle of nowhere with vast social problems

Comment

I read that the IS is planning to mint gold, silver and copper coins modeled after old Islamic ones. Don't know if it's for the mystique, or because they believe old-timey coins are honestly better somehow, or if the CIA or somebody has been flooding them with counterfeits of the paper kind. Either way, they're quite greedy for metal right now, to the point that they're reportedly ripping up Ethernet cable to harvest the copper. It seems like a beautiful metaphor, doesn't it? Destroying modern telecomm equipment so they can mint obsolete currency. Now, if only they'd scrap their AKs and conscript a bunch of Turkish horse archers . . .
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Now imagine where would have been ISIS if Russia didn't save Syria from the Western aggression.
                          Knowledge is Power

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            I read that the IS is planning to mint gold, silver and copper coins modeled after old Islamic ones. Don't know if it's for the mystique, or because they believe old-timey coins are honestly better somehow, or if the CIA or somebody has been flooding them with counterfeits of the paper kind. Either way, they're quite greedy for metal right now, to the point that they're reportedly ripping up Ethernet cable to harvest the copper. It seems like a beautiful metaphor, doesn't it? Destroying modern telecomm equipment so they can mint obsolete currency. Now, if only they'd scrap their AKs and conscript a bunch of Turkish horse archers . . .
                            No way, Horse Archers are OP
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                              No way, Horse Archers are OP
                              Now imagine Horse Archers retrofitted with AK's.
                              Knowledge is Power

Comment

Working...
                              X