Don't Be A Dick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Be A Dick

This is from 5ish years ago, and it's half an hour long so no one is going to sit through it, and you all aren't precisely the target audience, but Dr. Plait here makes an incredibly good point that I think it would all be to our benefit to take to heart.

Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

So if I just take the title to heart I can save 31:07 in viewing/listening time? Done.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Well, there's a little more nuance to it than that. He's at a skeptics conference, and his argument is that convincing people to be rational and skeptical and scientific is a hard enough task as it is, so why make it more difficult by being a dick, which modern psychological research tells us may make us feel good but is pretty darn likely not to convince anyone of anything (and may even make your opponents dig in deeper).
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Also, Phil is a gifted communicator, so I'd recommend watching it just for the hell of it.

Comment

TLDW. Summary?
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
            TLDW. Summary?
            Don't be a Dick
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

bugger that for a lark.

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Something for the likes of Richard Dawkins to take heed of then...
                "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

I keep wanting to append "to South Central while drinking your juice in the hood" here. I assume only I have that problem though.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                    This is from 5ish years ago, and it's half an hour long so no one is going to sit through it, and you all aren't precisely the target audience, but Dr. Plait here makes an incredibly good point that I think it would all be to our benefit to take to heart.
                    I hate that only a tiny fraction of worthwhile recorded content has a transcript available. I daresay some messages were more likely to get to a larger audience when the option to distribute them in a recorded format didn't exist and you *had* to get it in writing.

Comment

I don't know of a transcript, but there's this:

[Note: please first watch the video of my TAM 8 talk. This'll make more sense that way.]

[Note: This is the third of three posts on my "Don't Be a Dick" speech. Please first watch the video of my TAM 8 talk, and you can also read Part 2...

Comment

Working...
                      X