No announcement yet.

US embargo on Cuba on it's last breaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This wasn't where I saw it, but this seems like the same thing..

http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB103/

Ah here we go, the letter was actually to Johnson in the wake of the assassination. It refers to earlier discussion with JFK though.

http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB...103/640212.pdf

Comment

• The question is what can be gotten past a Congress and a Senate that will be dominated by Republicans for the next 2 years?

I'm not optimistic.

In the early 1960's the US had roped Europe into going along with the embargo. One crucial item blocked from Cuba was penicillin. It has been claimed that thousands of Cubans, particularly Cuban children, died from infections that could have been cured by embargoed medicines. By the end of the 60's Europe would no longer tolerate the embargo. US-European relation were at a low point thanks to the Vietnam War. Badly needed medicines began to reach Cuba from Europe.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• while this is probably good news, there are certainly risks here too.

currently cuba has the 4th highest HDI in the americas yet has a GDP per capita of around $10,000. any opening up will have to be very carefully handled to ensure that there aren't drastic changes in social priorities; that cuba doesn't end up with a scandanavian education system and an el salvadorian economy.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• If the American Right was serious about overthrowing the Cuban government, they'd be pushing for war against Venezuela. The embargo is just a cynical wedge issue, meant to cater to certain voters.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• A former collegue of mine went to Cuba and brought some of his friends (including me, I didn't think I was one) some cohiba (I think) cigars.
            I put mine in the fridge to save it for a special day.
            When the special day came, I took it out but it was all dried up and crumbling. Kind of ruined the special day.

Comment

• lol, you can only keep them so long... I don't know much though, since i don't smoke.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Cigars need to be kept in a humidor. Keeps them from drying out.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                  A former collegue of mine went to Cuba and brought some of his friends (including me, I didn't think I was one) some cohiba (I think) cigars.
                  I put mine in the fridge to save it for a special day.
                  When the special day came, I took it out but it was all dried up and crumbling. Kind of ruined the special day.
                  Is this a metaphor about communism ?
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• HA!
                    I got you so paranoid, you're seeing things.
                    Nope, just a true story

Comment

• BTW about the humidifier, I found out about it later.
                      What you can also do (if you don't want to buy a humidifier for a single cigar) is put it in a box with a small glass that has a wet cotton inside it.
                      Every solution though, will not last for ever.

Comment

• A friend of mine is in Cuba as I write. He's a frequent-ish visitor.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• i'm planning to go there in the relatively near future. if not this year then next.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                          X