This is why I love Boris Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
    Very true. I have my own way of interpreting those things that may not be the norm in a wider scale.
    I see. So when you said in another thread that the United Kingdom granted Pinochet asylum, what you meant to say was that he came here for medical treatment, there was a series of law cases which established that a former head of state does not have immunity for crimes against humanity or torture, and that he was never actually granted asylum here at all.

I can see why you'd favour your own incorrect statement for brevity's sake, but on the whole I prefer clarity and facts.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Well I searched and you're right it wasn't asylum but it went something like this:
      the UK accepted pinochet for treatment (and some say arms sales negotiations) then the UK HAD to arrest him because Spain had put out a international warrant for his arrest.
      Then the UK returned him to Chile instead of giving him to Spain.
      Nevertheless the position of the UK regarding dictatorships is well known. It was an avid supporter (on an official level, won't implicate whole people or strong domestic opposition)

Comment

Well I searched and you're right it wasn't asylum but it went something like this:
        the UK accepted pinochet for treatment (and some say arms sales negotiations) then the UK HAD to arrest him because Spain had put out a international warrant for his arrest.
        Then the UK returned him to Chile instead of giving him to Spain.
        Nevertheless the position of the UK regarding dictatorships is well known. It was an avid supporter (on an official level, won't implicate whole people or strong domestic opposition)
        Or :

Many people around the world celebrated the arrest in England of Augusto Pinochet. For the families and friends of his Chilean victims it was a miracle; to those who supported the Allende government, it was an unexpected vindication. For it is a rare instance indeed, when a brutal right-wing dictator receives a measure of justice, particularly one who had risen to power on the back of the United States government, and who had been closely allied with the United Kingdom against Argentina in the war over the Malvinas. No matter what the final result is in England, and at the time of this writing the outcome is uncertain, Pinochet has been publicly branded as a barbarous murderer.

and:

The case against Pinochet is unprecedented in the United Kingdom not least because it was heard by the Judicial Committee of the House of Lords, the highest court of appeal in criminal matters in the United Kingdom, on two separate occasions.1 More generally, the case represents the first serious attempt anywhere in the world to bring to justice a former head of state for offenses allegedly committed in the country of which he was the head of state.
        The decision of the House of Lords that Pinochet should be extradited to Spain to stand trial has been seized upon by many as a great step forward in the development of international human rights and international law in general. Certainly, the case will stand as a deterrent for former heads of state who have committed acts, such as those allegedly committed by Pinochet, from visiting the United Kingdom.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Perhaps the most surprising fact is that pinochet stood trial in Chile for the allegations (it's actually very funny to use this word) in 2005 and was.... acquited. The fascists must still run deep in that country.
          Maybe in Spain he would have been convicted.

Comment

Perhaps the most surprising fact is that pinochet stood trial in Chile for the allegations (it's actually very funny to use this word) in 2005 and was.... acquited. The fascists must still run deep in that country.
            Maybe in Spain he would have been convicted.

See you're all about the downside of things.

My motto- accentuate the positive.

Comment

• Nice song

But I'm sure I prefer my own side of the story
              French press informed the world that pinochet was coming to london. Spain issued an international arrest warrant. UK had to honor it. UK judges (could they do anything different?) judged that pinochet should be extradited in Spain. The UK gov. intervened and for "health reasons" (sic) handed him back to Chile. Ego, pinochet was protected by the UK untill it got exposed and even then managed to save their little puppy from the past and give him to Chile (that sadly seemed not able to rise to the occasion).

But I hear your story too and I gather what the other side of the story is, and it does have merits, so thanks

Comment

Nice song

But I'm sure I prefer my own side of the story

Ah yes. Getting it wrong first, and then still trying to present the United Kingdom in the worst possible light. It's an unfortunate habit you have, and one that's rather dull.

But by all means, do carry on....

Comment

• I don't think I got it THAT wrong. :/

You identify with your gov. too much, in my view, despite being fabulous otherwise.

Comment

I don't think I got it THAT wrong. :/

You identify with your gov. too much, in my view, despite being fabulous otherwise.
                    I have never identified with a U.K. government, other than that of the Attlee era. And unfortunately that was gone before I was even born.

But thank you for the compliment following.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                      See you're all about the downside of things.

My motto- accentuate the positive.

Bing Crosby used to be a partial owner of the Del Mar Race Track, which is the local horse racing track located right next to the ocean. He even wrote a song about it which they still use in their advertising.

Bing's recording of "Where The Turf Meets The Surf" to promote the Del Mar Turf Club, near San Diego. Bing was a part-owner of Del Mar. The song was written ...

Bing's recording of "Where The Turf Meets The Surf" to promote the Del Mar Turf Club, near San Diego. Bing was a part-owner of Del Mar. The song was written ...
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• here's another one

Skobi's dick is in knots and knots
                        And he got the word out, to loose some steam
                        At Kolonaki he looks for a little boy
                        Skobi's dick is in knots and knots
                        And if the knots become untied, what will it be skobi with the english foreign plicy?
                        My general Skobi, other knots will come too
                        You can do a thousand tricks/ you retrieved the guns
                        But you will never be able to bring a king
                        The people do not accept fascism, from gentle birth no less
                        It will again raise its head again above the english foreign policy

Comment

Working...
                        X