Elite: Dangerous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elite: Dangerous

i'm genuinely excited about this. i loved and wasted huge amounts of time playing the first three games. the game is being released in just under a month (december 16th), but the beta is out now, although it's a little pricey ($78); the pre-ordered game coming in at $55. it has 2,400 systems to explore. i'm tempted to buy it, although i'm not 100% sure my laptop will be able to handle it, so i need to check that out first.

elite:dangerous

the whole galaxy to explore

david braban talks about the game.

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Very excited about this as well, also for star citizen.
    I've played countless hours the original and was dissapointed with the sequels, so this must be it.
    Getting lost in the dark space and fighting thargoids (? is that what they were called) was such a rush
    Didn't know about the price, it is high...
    Also I'm a bit bummed about the forecasted system reqs. It seems I won't be able to avoid a PC upgrade again.
    But truth is there is no space similuation worthy enough out there and for a long time.

Comment

yeah the system requirements are a bit heavy, and the fact you need to play online, with my crap internet connection, and the fact my wife will probably kill me (). but **** it, it's elite 4.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I've seen a few previews. I've never played any of the previous games.

The only space combat games I got into were the games from the Xwing series. This reminds me of that, somewhat.

Is this an MMO?

I prefer single player... or PvE at the very least
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

elite is very open ended, you can trade, you can explore, you can do missions, you can fight etc.

i think it's MMO, but there is also a single player game (but you have to be online to receive updates etc.), however it's not 100% clear.

Comment

I like the open ended nature of the game.

If it's a bit more MMO, I might consider getting the game if a few of you would be into co-op or something... if that's possible
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

There is more or less a thread in the "other games"-sub:

although I can understand that the Offtopic is more populated than the "Other Games"-Sub

I have backed it since last year ... and yes, I also like it.
              The graphics are great and they try to base their galaxy as much on real world data as possible (example: I Bootis, with its 2 main stars in close orbit and another one in a wider orbit).

Already now, with "just" a little bit over 2000 star systems the visitable area is so large, that it is easy to lose the orientation
              When it is finally 400 billion stars (i.e. the whole milky way) you might be able to fly around without seeing a single player for a long long time.
              At least if you are a hardy soul (like myself) who plans on becoming (at least part-time) an explorer
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                Offtopic is more populated than the "Other Games"-Sub
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

proteus, what kind of specs are you playing it on? how demanding is it with the internet (i know this is a hard question to answer)?

sava...that would be cool, i know there's not an official guild or clan system, but people are free to come together and co-operate as they please.

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                      proteus, what kind of specs are you playing it on? how demanding is it with the internet (i know this is a hard question to answer)?

sava...that would be cool, i know there's not an official guild or clan system, but people are free to come together and co-operate as they please.
                      I can surely say that my rig isn´t the newest one ...
                      AMD 3.2 GHz Dualcore with 16 GB RAM with a Radeon 6750 graphics card and E: D runs well on this one.

As for internet ... according to my Routerstatus my Internet usage doesn´t rise higher than ~ 100 kB/s Rx and 55 kB/s Tx while playing E: D, with other words, only a tiny part of my 6.65 MB/s / 640 kB/s ADSL bandwidth is used.
                      (Rx may be higher when there are lots of player ships around, however ... I am outside of those region frequently visitd by other players however)
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

thanks proteus, your setup isn't that much better than mine (dualcore intel 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 1GB NVIDIA gfx card) and even my crappy internet should be able to handle that; i may just have to buy it. now it's just the wife killing me part i have to worry about...

Comment

Frontier are having a big PR crisis over the last minute decision to tell everyone that there won't be an offline mode.

Comment

Deservedly so, as it was part of their crowdfunding pitch.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Indeed. Especially as Braben has just answered the question about what happens if the servers go offline with 'well we can release an archive of the server content'. Err, well why not do that periodically anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X