No announcement yet.

Elite: Dangerous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just checked the site - Beta is out - I got lucky to have it purchased on the last day, thus - thanks for posting this thread!

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
      Hard to believe that in a multi million people city they still did not bring affordable connectivity to the masses.
      yeah, when i lived in the slums, my internet was both quicker and cheaper. there's something fishy going on.

anyway, glad you got the game, we'll have to get a poly group together and do some exploring/piracy.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
        Yep, initially it was planned to have a Solo-Offline mode which was skipped from theirn plans 1.5 weeks ago. dunno if it was for update or DRM reasons.
        They still have an Online Solo mode (actually had it already from the beginning of Beta) ... in this mode you won´t meet any other human player in game, but the client will occasionally contact the server, among others to update the prices of the stations according to supply and demand in the online world.
        Thereforee I´d say the only ones who realy get hurt by the absence of an Offline mode are people who want to play the game with no internetconnection available.
        So, it's now Eve-light?
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
          So, it's now Eve-light?
          Dunno, never played Eve, so I can only compare it with the sketchy knowledge I have about Eve from second/third hand.
          In contrast to Eve it is not subscription based (and isn´t planned to introduce subscriptions ... they want to finance server upkeep by Microtransactions and the sale of the game and its expansions)...
          also in contrast to all I know about Eve, you have a ships insurance so that in cae of a destroyed ship you get your ship and its equipment (but not the cargo carried at the time of destruction) by paying less than 10% of the new price for the ship and its equipment.

Also, due to the huge size of the E: D universe (the whole Milky Way, 400 billion star systems) and packing together players in the same block of space into shards (so that 2 people might be in the same region of space but a different shard and therefore don´t encounter each other) the game is more PvE than PvP
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Ehehehe - 10 year (at least) old USB SideWinder joystick works just fine in Win7.

This game has potential, that is for sure.
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

A great game, as good as it sounds.

Some highlights:

You need to learn how to fly, when fighting - do so at 50% throttle, try to stay on enemies tail.
              Redoing key-bindings and making it all fit your playstyle is a must.
              Some tutorials, especially the last three are hard, and I haven't finished them yet.
              Killed my first NPC today (or a human, but I doubt this was the case) and have to figure out how to claim the bounty .

I wish that I had more time to devote to it.

A galaxy to explore.

Comment

As I recently discovered, rare commodities are a great source of income (at least if you have a spaceship that is able to cover large distances and ideally has a fuel scoop).
                Rare commodities gain in vaue the further away from its source of production you sell it (ideally you will want to sell them ~120-160ly away from the producer)... oh and it´s rare being sold only in a single system for each commodity (and AFAIK only a single space station in this system) and being available only in very limited quantities.
                For example Lavian Brandy (yes, sold in Lave ), Hecate live sea worms (some form of Klingon Gagh) or Bast Snake Gin.

Depending on ther commodity they cost 500-5k CR per ton in purchase and will be sold (in 140-160 ly distance) for 16-20k CR.

A great source of income (already financed me, among other things, the A4 Frameshift drive and the Advanced Discovery Scanner for my Explorer Cobra).
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Whoa!

Good to know - I am just playing around at this stage. Got to my first 50k, testing the Eagle that I started with as well.

Apparently the Eagle can be outfitted with up to 14 slots of cargo, if you strip everything out. I guess I would be happy to start with 6, but did not find a place yet which sells full selection of cargo slots. Those deliveries net 3k or so per run, so relatively easy to climb up the ladder in the early stages.

Did not have too much time to play, as a lot of work this week - it has been fun though.

Comment

btw - where can I find some reference on part "grade" ie A, B, C, E, F and so on, where lower level letter seem to indicate worse quality?

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                      btw - where can I find some reference on part "grade" ie A, B, C, E, F and so on, where lower level letter seem to indicate worse quality?
                      A good source for all things E: D usually is the D: D Wiki:
                      Elite Dangerous is a massively multiplayer space epic and the fourth installment in the legendary Elite series, the longest running space simulation series in history. It was developed and published by Frontier Developments with David Braben as the director. The Windows PC version launched on December 16, 2014. It was partially funded via a Kickstarter campaign. The Mac version was released on May 12, 2015, but Mac OS support was dropped on December 11, 2018 due to technical barriers. The Xbox O

Although AFAIK their equipment database is rather incomplete.

As for lower grade being worse than higher grades ... could it be the size of the part?
                      Smaller parts of a better grade can often be worse than bigger parts of a worse grade (which is why it is extremly important to also look at the size)

Comment

Thanks - this is a lovely tip for a beginner.

Comment

Seems it's no longer possible to get access to the game, only a preorder now on their site.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Yes, the period where you could buy the Beta/Gamma ended when Gamma started (at the end of November).

But the Release Date is nearing quickly (Dec. 16), so people who preorder it now will be able to play it in ~11 days

Comment

I got too cocky yesterday, and while typing and watching my hauler fly, (with the hauler stripped to maximise capacity and full of cargo), I got intercepted (too slow to get into the window and pull out), and promptly destroyed . Also managed to hit a planet head on at .22c, without dying, so I guess Frontier is going easy on that front. It was a fun event though.

Ah well - being only a pizza delivery boy in space is not so much fun as shooting stuff, so I think I will take the slow, but entertaining route to riches.

Comment

Gamma 2.0 is out

But after updating and before starting the game you should definitely read this thread and apply the fix mentioned in OP:

Else your Keyboard may not work properly in game

Oh and Gamma 2.0 finally has route planning.
                                But it seems like it doesn´t take the (high) jump range of yoru rame shift drive into account.
                                It just plans a route along neighboring stars and you have to jump to every star within the route,
                                even if the jump range of your FSD would allow you to skip 3 or more of these stars with each jump

Comment

Working...
                                X