Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trekkers, walkers, and all foot perverts, any epic routes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. I had cheap shoes. I like walking though.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Pekka, I'll join you for the fun part in Spain were we are trekking from mountain village to moutain village buying home made sheeps milk cheese and wine from a farmer and staying the night in hostels were I can try to bang 25 year old girls from eastern Europe.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
        Yeah. I had cheap shoes. I like walking though.
        Well that's it most likely. YOU have to have good shoes and you have to settle them first, like drive them in, walk 50 miles first so they fit your feet. Otherwise your feet are basically dead. And you have to give your feet time to toughen up anyway. We're a bit soft these days but nothing we can't fix with a bit of training. I don't know much about walking or any of this stuff, but I know my feet hurt.

Just avoid pavements, stick on softer roads and keep on going. You ARE going to get blisters at some poitn for sure. It's just a matter of when. Just like hands. But when they get used to it, you're just tough.

I'll probably skip the Canadian mega route, seem slike something that would take a year.

But then again, charity is the big point why I want to do it. Of course it is of self interest. I want to feel good about myself. About doing something that can help me and others. I want people to be inspired by it, to be in awe, "wow, this guy was almost dead and now he walked like through a continent, and he is still healthy!". And I'm bound to be enriched by the trip, all the ideas, thoughts, hardships to overcome. There will be nothing quite like it. It's once in a life time. And maybe I get enough publicity to be invited to talk about it and perhaps, just perhaps be able to make a modest living out of surviving and helping others to survive as well. And that's about it. That's what I could call a dream. My priorities today are so different that they shape what I find interesting and what I find less interesting quite dramatically. Easy money is to be found what I used to find interesting. I've got a good salary, but I'd like to focus on helping others who are desperate to live.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Dinner, that sounds fun! Let's do that!

Also, when walking, using some sort of brain is a good idea. My friend took a look at my foot and said "your heels might be actually broken, broken heels look exactly like this". So I'll have to see a doctor tomorrow. I don't think they're broken, I think it would hurt more. I mean I went to the gym today and had a good workout. I never said they don't hurt, I confess to stupidity but I don't think they're broken. As in fractured. Perhaps just a little bit. But like in a character building way.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

In Croatia (mostly), you can trek the Adriatic coast - perhaps start in Trieste, cut through Istria, Kvarner bay (~200 km), then Velebit mountain range (another 150-200km depends how you take it) - it is a walk, no mountaineering (on the right the sea and on the left the continent -great views from ~1400m), through Dalmatian coast to Dubrovnik, bay of Kotor in Montenegro (another 300km or so), stop there as this is the "civilized range" , you can continue down to Albania and than visit Paiktis in Greece on the way to Athens (probably as much as you had from Trieste to Kotor), but I have no experience or advice on how safe is Albania these days, apparently should be OK - but I have no clue.

Time of the year would be best for an April start, and then until you finish, but if you are making 50km/day, you will be done quickly, definitely by the time summer heat starts to go regularly over 30's in June.
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
              In Croatia (mostly), you can trek the Adriatic coast - perhaps start in Trieste, cut through Istria, Kvarner bay (~200 km), then Velebit mountain range (another 150-200km depends how you take it) - it is a walk, no mountaineering (on the right the sea and on the left the continent -great views from ~1400m), through Dalmatian coast to Dubrovnik, bay of Kotor in Montenegro (another 300km or so), stop there as this is the "civilized range" , you can continue down to Albania and than visit Paiktis in Greece on the way to Athens (probably as much as you had from Trieste to Kotor), but I have no experience or advice on how safe is Albania these days, apparently should be OK - but I have no clue.

Time of the year would be best for an April start, and then until you finish, but if you are making 50km/day, you will be done quickly, definitely by the time summer heat starts to go regularly over 30's in June.
              Wow, I've wanted to go to Croatia for quite a long time now, I know it's a beautiful place. Didn't they just build that highway as well? Have investors already bought all the houses there? I'm sure they will ruin it

My heels aren't broken though. No more swelling, and the blackness has disappeard. THEy don't even hurt so much anymore, they just hurt a bit so I can't walk properly.

Crazy times, I work out 5 to 6 days a week these days and eat very well (I eat a lot, I just eat well), and I've burned 13 kgs of fat, that's almost 29 lbs. THat's fat guys, I've gained 3 kg of muscle, and that's almost 7 lbs...within 3 months. Yeah the starting situation was gross. I didn't look like SC let me tell you... I've been lying around for a year, and I ate like a pig because I didn't want to lose weight, but I didn't puke so I just got kind of fat. I'm still a bit fat, but if I keep hacking it like this, progression doesn't even have to be linear, I'll be in great shape before the walk starts. It's part of the inspiring others. Not just getting well, but getting go the best cancer fighting shape I can be, if I die, I'll die in the best shape of my life. Including youth, when you can eat burgers and drink beer and magically it adds to your muscle and cardio.
              In da butt.

Comment

Pekka

We have some amazing places to trek over here, including places where you can trek for a week without seing any evidence of civilization. My wife and I love it, and pretty much all our trips include lots of walking.

In any case, wherever you end up doing your trek (which will probably be around Europe I guess, because of your kids?), I promise I'll do my best to go and keep you company for a stretch.
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                  a college fund for the kids
                  citizens in every other industrialized nation are laughing at us
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well things have progressed. Now I've got to write a synopsis for one interested party, but I'd give that like less than 20 % chance.

But there's one good one, they're actually a friend of a friend of a... you know how that goes, and they are just releasing a new movie, adventure of guys for also similar idea behind, except less personal and no walking.

But my friend is hooking us up and facilitating a meeting, at least I'll get tips what gear I'd need and they'd pretty much let me borrow, I mean my friend is one of the sponsors who gave them cameras.

So I need to make a pilot at home first. Like who I am, what I do to survive, show some of my work out routines (So I got to lose some more fat to not make a joke of myself), and some voice over philosophy in Sauna. I'm happy with my body so I don't hide things. I'm all natural baby! I come as I am. I accept that (No SOA joke here).

I'm excited about that because I'm getting proper gear to start and a bit help, all I really wanted to do was a video blog anyway to show my routines, I don't mean work out, I mean like what I eat, and OK, how exercise SHOULD be done that is most beneficial if you have cancer, all that stuff. Try to give some motivational stuff for people out there. So I'll film that first, then we'll probably pitch it for a real company. I think we're makign two versions, Finnish language and English language.

IT should appeal to a wider audience, it's a story of survival and not giving up against odds, it's really an adventure too, nice scenery, hardship, thoughts on life, a clear things of what to do when in this situation, and all about winning, really. Should be a good feel thing. Like if you want to see a come back story come to life, then this would be a good one. And it's all for benefit as well, so researchers get money to do stuff and maybe like a children's cancer ward to make it really warm and fuzzy (and to help them).

Any ideas, contacts, all that stuff, share them, this will happen. It's just a matter of how much it will cost me, and how easily this comes. Like I don't expect things to drop into my lap, but I don't think there's anything wrong if a helping hand arrives (not on my lap).

One cool thing would be to make like shirts and sell them and then we could ask for a kickstarter or other crowdsourcing thing to help if I miss all the producers and proper platform. I want it to look nice, I want to do justice for the cause, not some crappy home movie. Don't need flying choppers, just professionals. I'll do the pain part. And then it would be like "help make this movie, x % will go directly to help the cause".

Then I'll shave my damn head again and start marching with the scar on, visible as hell. It's a nasty scar friends... like explosives went off next to it. Completely bald, and when I get there, I'll have a long hair like a male model. Yeah. I'll have all the doctors consultation visits, they'll all tell me what a horrible idea that is, how I'm not able to do it, how my feet WILL break, how I might die, how I'll get the cancer back because I'll get sick and all that stuff, then I go and nothing. Because, adn I quote Drago... if he dies... he dies... that's how determined I am.
                    Last edited by Pekka; November 21, 2014, 13:53.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Pekka, if you ever come to Chicago and want to go on a trek, I would love to go with you
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

And yeah, we can have people joining for certain amounts of the trip as well, talk and walk.
                        In da butt.

Comment

Sava, Route 66 is all I know about treks there.... isn't it like a big city?
                          In da butt.

Comment

There is a path along Lake Shore Drive.

The trail is 20-miles (32 km)
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That's nice... not epic but nice for sure. An epic adventure would be to take Route 66 (it starts from Chicago, right?) and drive that one. I'd like to do that with a motorcycle, it's on my bucket list so I'll be sure to do it. Then again, seeing the size of your cars and all women with iPhones while driving, it probably will be my last completed mission on that list. Now I must attend Sauna Gods.
                              In da butt.

Comment

I regrettably admit that I do not know much about the Route 66 journey. My dad would have been the one to ask about that.

Sauna
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X