Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay, GOP voter suppression is back!

Originally posted by Al Jazeera

Election officials in 27 states, most of them Republicans, have launched a program that threatens a massive purge of voters from the rolls. Millions, especially black, Hispanic and Asian-American voters, are at risk. Already, tens of thousands have been removed in at least one battleground state, and the numbers are expected to climb, according to a six-month-long, nationwide investigation by Al Jazeera America.

At the heart of this voter-roll scrub is the Interstate Crosscheck program, which has generated a master list of nearly 7 million names. Officials say that these names represent legions of fraudsters who are not only registered but have actually voted in two or more states in the same election — a felony punishable by 2 to 10 years in prison.

Until now, state elections officials have refused to turn over their Crosscheck lists, some on grounds that these voters are subject to criminal investigation. Now, for the first time, three states — Georgia, Virginia and Washington — have released their lists to Al Jazeera America, providing a total of just over 2 million names.

The Crosscheck list of suspected double voters has been compiled by matching names from roughly 110 million voter records from participating states. Interstate Crosscheck is the pet project of Kansas’ controversial Republican secretary of state, Kris Kobach, known for his crusade against voter fraud.

The three states’ lists are heavily weighted with names such as Jackson, Garcia, Patel and Kim — ones common among minorities, who vote overwhelmingly Democratic. Indeed, fully 1 in 7 African-Americans in those 27 states, plus the state of Washington (which enrolled in Crosscheck but has decided not to utilize the results), are listed as under suspicion of having voted twice. This also applies to 1 in 8 Asian-Americans and 1 in 8 Hispanic voters. White voters too — 1 in 11 — are at risk of having their names scrubbed from the voter rolls, though not as vulnerable as minorities.

If even a fraction of those names are blocked from voting or purged from voter rolls, it could alter the outcome of next week’s electoral battle for control of the U.S. Senate — and perhaps prove decisive in the 2016 presidential vote count.

“It’s Jim Crow all over again,” says the Rev. Joseph Lowery, who cofounded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference with Martin Luther King, Jr. Lowery, now 93, says he recognizes in the list of threatened voters a sophisticated new form of an old and tired tactic. “I think [the Republicans] would use anything they can find. Their desperation is rising.”

There are 6,951,484 names on the target list of the 28 states in the Crosscheck group; each of them represents a suspected double voter whose registration has now become subject to challenge and removal. According to a 2013 presentation by Kobach to the National Association of State Election Directors, the program is a highly sophisticated voter-fraud-detection system. The sample matches he showed his audience included the following criteria: first, last and middle name or initial; date of birth; suffixes; and Social Security number, or at least its last four digits.

That was the sales pitch. But the actual lists show that not only are middle names commonly mismatched and suffix discrepancies ignored, even birthdates don’t seem to have been taken into account. Moreover, Crosscheck deliberately ignores Social Security mismatches, in the few instances when the numbers are even collected. The Crosscheck instructions for county election officers state, “Social Security numbers are included for verification; the numbers might or might not match.”

In practice, all it takes to become a suspect is sharing a first and last name with a voter in another state. Typical “matches” identifying those who may have voted in both Georgia and Virginia include:

Kevin Antonio Hayes of Durham, North Carolina, is a match for a man who voted in Alexandria, Virginia, as Kevin Thomas Hayes.

John Paul Williams of Alexandria is supposedly the same man as John R. Williams of Atlanta, Georgia.

Robert Dewey Cox of Marietta, Georgia is matched with Robert Glen Cox of Springfield, Virginia.
    But surely there's a process for investigation right?

With millions of suspects, one question keeps arising: Why have there been no mass convictions? Kobach proudly proclaims that Kansas has “referred” 14 voters for prosecution for double voting. And none of them has been convicted.

Yet demands to purge lists of double voters have reached a histrionic volume. In April of this year, former presidential counselor Dick Morris told Fox TV audiences that “probably over a million people that voted twice in [the 2012] election. This is the first concrete evidence we’ve ever had of massive voter fraud.”

In North Carolina, state officials have hired former FBI agent Charles W. “Chuck” Stuber, who played a major role in the campaign finance fraud case brought against former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, to, in the words of their press release, “investigate cases of possible voter fraud identified by an interstate cross-check comparing election records from 28 states.”

But despite knowing the names and addresses of 192,207 supposed double voters in the state, Stuber has not nabbed a single one in his five months on the job. Josh Lawson, a spokesman for the board of elections, says, “This agency has made no determination as to which portion of these[lists] represent data error or voter fraud.” In fact, to date, Lawson admits that Stuber has found only errors and not one verified fraudulent voter.

But Lawson did shine a light on the great benefit of the Crosscheck manhunt to the state’s Republican Party, now locked in a tight battle over the U.S. Senate seat of incumbent Democrat Kay Hagan. While the use of Crosscheck has yet to produce a single indictment of a double voter, Lawson says, the program could be used for “list maintenance.” That is, voters on the list, proven guilty or not, could be subject to a process of removal from the voter rolls.
    So what happens if you're one of the people being removed from the voting register?

Crosscheck instructs each participating state to send a postcard or letter to suspected double voters, requiring them to restate and verify their name and address, sign the card and return it. While this seems a benign way to save one’s voting rights, the problem, says voter advocate Butler, is that few people are likely to notice, fill out and return such a card. She reviewed the one being sent out in Georgia, which she says “looks like a piece of trashy mail that you get every day that you just throw away.”

Direct-mail expert Michael Wychocki was shown a sample postcard. First, he says, 4 percent to 20 percent of any mailing goes astray — leaving voting rights at risk for more than a million citizens simply from wrong and changed addresses. And, crucially, there’s an enormous difference between rich and poor. “The African-American Williams family, renters, may move every year,” he says, “but the Whitehall family in the million-dollar home is barely likely to have moved.”

“It looks as if they’ve broken every direct-marketing rule,” creating a card that seems guaranteed to not be returned, says Wychocki. He explains that marketers know people glance at unsolicited mail for no more than two seconds apiece, and this “single-touch” approach — no follow-up phone calls, emails, radio campaigns or other secondary-outreach methods — ensures a low response rate. Notably, neither Kansas nor other Crosscheck states will reveal how many cards are returned or how many people thereby lose their vote.

To Wychocki, the mailings are suspect, designed by people who “attempted to purposely suppress response through obfuscation.” These are likely quite different than Kansas’ income-tax demands, he says, and from Kobach’s campaign mailings. The direct-mail expert questions why people are asked to prove where they live. “American Express knows where you live,” he says.
    http://projects.aljazeera.com/2014/double-voters/

Hard to find the words to describe how utterly repulsive this is. There's a lot more in the article, and it's well worth a read.

In the interests of fairness, it should be pointed out that some jackass Democrat states are also signed up to Crosscheck. It'd be interesting to see a comparison of numbers of voters removed from the rolls in each of these states as a result of the program.

Comment

Fighting voter fraud is not voter suppression. Answer me this: in the UK do you have to show a photo ID to vote? Would you be in favor of getting rid of this requirement to prevent voter suppression?

Comment

Well done for not reading the article.

Comment

Anyone who believes that this is about voter fraud is a moron.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Also no we don't have to show ID. You go in with your voting card and your name is crossed off the list of voters registered there. It's really not complicated.

Comment

Brought to you by your local "conservative" Kentonio.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I don't think that voter suppression is an ideal held by all conservatives, with or without the scare quotes
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  Brought to you by your local "conservative" Kentonio.
                  Our conservatives don't believe in voter suppression, unlike you you ****ing fascist.

Comment

Also no we don't have to show ID. You go in with your voting card and your name is crossed off the list of voters registered there. It's really not complicated
                    Better question - are you ok with legal aliens like myself voting in the US election?
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I don't think that voter suppression is an ideal held by all conservatives, with or without the scare quotes
                      Kentonio seems to think that's the case.

I'm not sure how voting ID cards are voter suppression. Tell you what, Loin find me a person who can't afford to get their driver's license, I will drive them to the DMV, help them get their DL and feed them for the day.

Monday only.

Have at it.
                      Last edited by Ben Kenobi; November 1, 2014, 18:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        Better question - are you ok with legal aliens like myself voting in the US election?
                        I wouldn't care if you were eaten by a shark tomorrow, and have absolutely no interest in engaging with your vile bull****. Please go catch ebola.

Comment

The issue I have here is with the magnitude of the response to supposed voter fraud. As far as I've been able to find, there haven't been more than a handful of cases of alleged voter fraud in recent years. If the response to this was to strike a few thousand names then I'd say, fair enough, that seems like a reasonable response to combat a handful of cases of voter fraud. But seven million names? Nope, that's blatant voter suppression.
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Analysis of the resulting comprehensive News21 election fraud database turned up 10 cases of voter impersonation. With 146 million registered voters in the United States during that time, those 10 cases represent one out of about every 15 million prospective voters.
                            http://www.minnpost.com/politics-pol...y-non-existent

Comment

The issue I have here is with the magnitude of the response to supposed voter fraud. As far as I've been able to find, there haven't been more than a handful of cases of alleged voter fraud in recent years. If the response to this was to strike a few thousand names then I'd say, fair enough, that seems like a reasonable response to combat a handful of cases of voter fraud. But seven million names? Nope, that's voter suppression.
                              Again, I don't see the issue. I've helped people get their driver's license after it was stolen. It really is not that difficult to do or accomplish even here in Texas. One day, max. And cheap too.

If you can't be bothered to take a day out of your life to get your driver's license or some form of ID, then you shouldn't be voting.

Comment

Working...
                              X