No announcement yet.

OT's CivBE release party thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just remembered that the original SMAC was released on my 21st birthday.

Considering that I don't drink, there is something very poetic about that.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

So I'm guessing there's supposed to be a menu screen here, yeah?
      yeah they need to put something on that screen, like hey YOUR PC DIDNT CRASH WE'RE JUST LODAING

i initially thought my machine froze
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Well, I've tried a couple times now and it never gets past that screen without crashing. My laptop plays Civ5 and I meet the minimum requirements for CivBE, but only just barely in the graphics card department (Core I3 integrated graphics)
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• How the **** do I build the exodus gate? I have 13 purity and ****, and the requisite tech.

Comment

• i should actually be able to sit down to this soon!
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• The good:

Really like the Tech web. I'm sure, in time, people will identify min/maxing strategies through it, just like the National College Gambit in Civ5, but for now the possibilities seem nearly endless.
              The quest system is a nice call back to Civ 4 and works very well with the sci-fi theme, as well as the overarching philosophical themes of the game.
              Espionage is SO MUCH BETTER than Civ5. Probably the best espionage mechanic since... well, probably SMAC. I managed to succeed in "call for worm attack" on the Slavic capital, and a few turns later, that city was just ****ing GONE. It no longer existed. Bad ass.

The bad:

Other than the "favor" mechanic, diplomacy is exactly the same as Civ 5; diplomacy is the weakest part of Civ 5, and it is the weakest part of Beyond Earth (after only one playthrough, granted).
              Missing some hallmarks of the series--where's my demographics screen? I love the little minutiae like that, makes me feel more immersed in the game. Where's the replay and stats after the game is over?
              The personalities of the different leaders and factions are not nearly as immediately gripping or identifiable as they were in SMAC.

The not terribly surprising:

Yeah, it is Civ 5 in space, just like SMAC was Civ 2 in space. I don't have a problem with that.
              It is not SMAC 2. Honestly, for people like us, I don't even think an actual SMAC 2 would be "SMAC 2". It is still very, very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                The good:

Really like the Tech web. I'm sure, in time, people will identify min/maxing strategies through it, just like the National College Gambit in Civ5, but for now the possibilities seem nearly endless.
                The quest system is a nice call back to Civ 4 and works very well with the sci-fi theme, as well as the overarching philosophical themes of the game.
                Espionage is SO MUCH BETTER than Civ5. Probably the best espionage mechanic since... well, probably SMAC. I managed to succeed in "call for worm attack" on the Slavic capital, and a few turns later, that city was just ****ing GONE. It no longer existed. Bad ass.
                Haha, I agree on the espionage but I had the other two down as things I really disliked.

Comment

• BUT ISN'T THE COMBAT AI STILL A BIG PROBLEM? THAT'S WHAT I NEED TO KNOW?

Comment

• I tend to be a builder, managed to avoid open war with the AI other than getting dragged into war with ARC due to alliances, never had to fire a shot.

The alien AI seems... cromulent. Uses their ranged units well.

Comment

• My only combat with the other civs so far was one of them deciding me killing the aliens was bad, and then rolling a decent sized army over two of my outposts extremely efficiently.

Alien AI is great. I love the way you can never tell if they're going to completely ignore you or just rip your face off en masse.

Comment

• :taps microphone: is this thing on?

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Comment

• It says you are offline.

Comment

• sb and i are playing now

i am streamiong the match

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• i'll figure out the whole streaming thing tomorrow. honest

Comment

• ****ING BULL**** I beat the game and it didn't give me the achievements.

Comment

Working...
                                X