(95% of) All Roads Lead to Philosophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (95% of) All Roads Lead to Philosophy

Apparently this has been a thing for quite some time, but I just found out about it yesterday. If you go to a random article on Wikipedia, then click the first (non-italicized, non-parenthesized, non-external, non-intra-article, non-red) link in the article, and then repeat, your odds of eventually landing on the Philosophy article are the same as your odds of rolling a 2+ on a d20.

Fun fact: The Soviet Union loops back on itself and never leads to Philosophy.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

First one I tried was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulina_%28Derventa%29 which looped between the serbian language and serbian alphabet.
    e: science also loops back on itself
    e2: I've tried three now, got in a loop with Greek language

My confidence in your statement is rapidly fading.

Comment

Exactly the kind of entertainment we need on a Saturday night.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

It's only 4pm here.

Comment

Science definitely leads to Philosophy and is one of the reasons why most articles lead to Philosophy. The chain is Science - Knowledge - Fact - Experience - Experiment - Hypothesis - Explanation - Set (mathematics) - Mathematics - Quantity - Property (philosophy) - Modern philosophy - Philosophy
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yeah, you're playing the game wrong, reg.

Comment

For example, your first link leads to Philosophy by way of Kulina (Derventa) - Village - Human Settlement - Geography - Earth - World - Human - Hominini - Tribe (biology) - Biology - Natural science - Science - Knowledge

Comment

Ah, I see.

Comment

If you go to any article whose subject is a portmanteau (combination of two words, e.g. a spork is a combination of a spoon and a fork) or makes any reference at all to a word that is a portmanteau, then odds are that the portmanteau police have linked it back to the portmanteau article
                  Last edited by loinburger; October 18, 2014, 16:38.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                    Ah, I see.
                    YEAH. TAKE THAT.

Comment

I'm curious what graph algorithm can be used to efficiently determine this stuff. I suspect if I poked through one of my books I'd find it, or thought about it long enough I'd realize it, but in the event someone here knows off the top of their head...?

Yes, there's an obvious naive solution (follow all the articles) but I'm guessing there's some matrix algebra way of analyzing this.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Hm, I suppose once you generate the graph you can just find all of vertices connected to Philosophy.
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Incidentally, that article links to the Philosophy article with a path length of 3

Also, I pulled that number out of my ass
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Yes, there's an obvious naive solution (follow all the articles) but I'm guessing there's some matrix algebra way of analyzing this.
                            Start working in cat space.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Just use dijkstra's algorithm, that's what routing protocols typically do.

Comment

Working...
                              X