Site Issue: What's New ... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Issue: What's New ... ?

Since this is where all the activity happens ...

With Civilization Beyond Earth about to be released I've been looking at some quick and easy things we can do to make the site a little more friendly to new visitors and search engine bots.

"What's New?" is linked on every page and generally full of OT stuff. This makes the site look much less like a gaming site to new visitors and to search engines. Generally it's just another way to read the main OT forum. So "What's New?" is something I think would make sense to change, but I'm not sure how much it's used. I use it all the time, generally to pick off new spam posts, but could easily do without it.

If we disallow OT posts from showing in "What's New?" would that be ok? It may be possible to have it show OT posts only on certain forums (OT, Sports, Site). Any preferences? Other ideas?

OK for me, but I am not the main spammer here.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I didn't come here for OT.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I also use the What's New page, probably for the same reasons you do. I'd miss it if it were gone, but not that much.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I've never even heard of this "What's New" thingy.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You might want to turn off avatars for it, right now Sava's ass is everywhere.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                I've never even heard of this "What's New" thingy.
                +1
                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

This site is full of trojans and other computer viruses!
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

so's your face
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'd love it if my phone would stop telling me that apolyton is tapatalk native
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Turn off OT. What's new should be for OnT posts.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Put me down for hiding OT from newbs.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                            I'd love it if my phone would stop telling me that apolyton is tapatalk native
                            I am considering removing Tapatalk. I think one or two people use Tapatalk on the forum, but it ignores it's "don't ask don't tell" settings and keeps spamming me on my phone too.

Comment

On a separate issue the Time for East Coast USA is behind by 1 hour.

very annoying and has been an issue for a while.
                              Order of the Fly
                              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                              X