Attention, KuciBros: "Starpoint Gemini 2"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention, KuciBros: "Starpoint Gemini 2"

So, I've been playing this for the past few days. It has been described as the spiritual successor to Freelancer.

And that is... pretty much exactly right.

First, the things it doesn't do as well: it is less immersive. The universe of the game is not as immediately relatable, and the main storyline is less engaging, and the voice acting is even worse than Freelancer. It also doesn't have some of the little touches, like hailing a random passing ship and having them tell you where they are from, where they are going, etc. The reputation system is also not as deep; you have one reputation rating, and different factions have different thresholds for enemy/friendly/allied. So you can't be allied with a certain government AND with a certain outlaw group, for example.

But, that is pretty much it. In gameplay, it is otherwise identical or improved: more combat options, more types of ships to fly, more types of weapons and gizmos to outfit your ship with, more commodities to trade, weapons and gizmos have a greater variation in price from system to system, ways to customize your ship, etc.

It is currently only $25 or something like that on Steam, and I recommend it to my fellow Freelancer fans.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

I bought it, and I'm having trouble getting over the shockingly bad voice acting and the fact that it crashes if you alt-tab. I've played about 15 minutes of it and I can at least say the controls are solid. Is it worth bothering with the campaign?

Comment

I've been looking for a nice space sim/combat untill elite dangerous and star citizen comes along.
      It sells indeed for 25 euros on steam (40 on retail )

Will check videos.
      Is it more combat oriented (like freelancer) or can you also do some serious trade as well?

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
        I bought it, and I'm having trouble getting over the shockingly bad voice acting and the fact that it crashes if you alt-tab. I've played about 15 minutes of it and I can at least say the controls are solid. Is it worth bothering with the campaign?
        I mean, I can't tell you the campaign gets any better as far as story or acting goes so far (I don't think I'm anywhere near done, only level 20 and apparently it goes to level 70, at least), but it does give you a lot of cash and XP.

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
        Is it more combat oriented (like freelancer) or can you also do some serious trade as well?
        You can make a significant amount of cash trading, but the economy is abstracted like it is in Freelancer; goods are cheap at this station and sold at a profit at this other station because... reasons, I guess. You also get XP for trading as well; there are a few high profit routes in the immediate vicinity of the starting area.

Comment

mount and blade in space?
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That's... not a bad comparison, actually.

Comment

interesting

I've been on the fence about this. We'll see.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

okay got it

i wonder if it works with 5760x1080
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Also, I do NOT recommend going after anything on the bounty board until you get some serious ****ing firepower. I accidentally tripped over the second-lowest bounty on the board while in the starter ship, and through a lot of twisting and maneuvering and using abilities and gizmos and heavy weapons, managed to win with literally 4% hull integrity remaining. Those guys are not to be ****ed with. Even now that I have a big bad ass frigate, I am no match for the higher end bounties, and haven't found any of the lower end ones to grapple with.

Comment

That's... not a bad comparison, actually.
                    I need to pick this up then. I love mount and blade.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I have no idea what's happening in this game.

Okay, so I managed to find a trader. The UI is a mess. Some prices are green, some red, some yellow. What is better? Does green = good? Does green mean low? or high? Am I selling/buying everything that's green?

The manual and tutorial just mention the prices have different colors and that one is better. They don't mention explain the colors at all.

The dev forums are unhelpful.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        I love mount and blade.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                          I have no idea what's happening in this game.

Okay, so I managed to find a trader. The UI is a mess. Some prices are green, some red, some yellow. What is better? Does green = good? Does green mean low? or high? Am I selling/buying everything that's green?

The manual and tutorial just mention the prices have different colors and that one is better. They don't mention explain the colors at all.

The dev forums are unhelpful.

If it is green, you are buying it low (or selling it high).

Comment

Working...
                          X