Small world: ancestral homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small world: ancestral homes

Since I moved back to Sydney I've got interested in our links with the area, which are close.

I was asking my parents about Uncle Jim's house, which is nearby but I couldn't remember the exact street. I used to go there as a child. It turns out my great grandmother lived there and my great grandfather died there. My parents lived there for a while.

Here it is: 1 George street Sydenham, very close to Sydney airport.

It's a pity the house isn't still in the family. I was OS when Jimmy died and there was a terrible bunfight over the house because Jimmy was a communist and didn't leave a will. He was "a confirmed bachelor" as they used to politely say, so no children.

Jimmy loved jazz and had a New Orleans jazz funeral. Dad said he used to take him along to the free jazz concerts at the Sydney Townhall. I liked Uncle Jim, he slept with a picture of Stalin next to his bed like a holy picture, never lost that faith although it caused lots of rifts in the family. At least he could think for himself, I respected him for that, although he was always falling out with people, usually over politics and died alone. There were rumours of large amounts of cash stashed somewhere in the house because he didn't trust banks.

Mum's father, my grandfather, grew up in the same street. She just casually threw that in as we were talking.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

There are many places from my past that I'll never find now. It is a shame that the house isn't still in the family. That would be cool.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A jazz loving communist - OK, but a rich one, that just does not make sense.

Nice story though. I never knew anyone who slept with a picture of Stalin next to the bed, not even of Tito (in the house - yes, but not next to bed, that would have been just too weird), and I grew up in ex-Yugo ... this guy must have been a hardcore Aussie commie.
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
        He was "a confirmed bachelor" as they used to politely say, so no children.
        I didn't know they had turn-based strategy games back then.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
          He was "a confirmed bachelor" as they used to politely say, so no children.
          To be clear, does that mean he couldn't get a woman or that he never managed to settle down with any single one of them?
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

gay.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Ahhh.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

AH - that looks like a rather small house. How much would something like that go for in Sydney?
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Unless you are aboriginal, I'm pretty sure your "ancestral home" is on another continent.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

indeed.
                    btw i was under the impression that stalin wasn't particularly fond of confirmed bachelors.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      Unless you are aboriginal, I'm pretty sure your "ancestral home" is on another continent.
                      If you want to apply that logic, all of our ancestral homes are in Africa, including the Aborigines.

Comment

only if the "logic" is applied to the most retarded extreme

don't be a pussy

the whole country is made up of land thieves

own it

mine is

you don't see me in denial about it
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

My great great great grandfather's boss was a land thief. Does that make me one?

Comment

I have emancipated my land and given it voting rights. I am not a slaver like some people

Spoiler:
                            I then called a vote, and it was unanimously decided that I was president and the land would do whatever I want it to do. There were no objections from the land, even when I asked if anyone had any objections. It's will be done!

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                              My great great great grandfather's boss was a land thief. Does that make me one?
                              Depends. Are you poor? There's no such thing as a gain that isn't ill-gotten.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X