The Great Scottish FREEEEEEEEEDOOOMMMMM!!!!1!!! vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
    We can't stop them using the pound in a sterlingised economy should they choose to, but that's a bit of a 3rd World approach to running things.

The SNP's response is that if they can't have full credit union, they will walk away from the existing UK national debt. That's fraught with issues, of course. I can't see it helping their credit rating, and it's not a great idea to seriously piss off the nation that is (by far) your biggest trade partner.
    True. I guess I was thinking more about the credit union thing rather than the literal using another country's legal tender. The debt issue is going to be MASSIVE if Scotland votes to leave and I don't think a lot of "Yes" voters have really considered that. Also, I think they believe they'll be automatically included in the EU and the EU has been going, hey wait a sec..
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No- the LibDems don't support it. It's because power was devolved to the Scottish Parliament, and the Scots elected the SNP into government. That's democracy.
      Can't Parliament just revoke that authority then?

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
        Which dumbass in Parliament decided to make it legally binding? Was this to appease the Lib Dems or something? ...
        I guess the prime minister was so sure of the outcome (i.e. that the majority of scots would decide to stay) that he thought: "Better let them cast their vote now (and have silence for another century or two before they demand another referendum) than at a worse time"
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Bit like he thought promising a referendum on the EU also involved a limited risk. Who knows by the time Cameron has left office, he'll have blown up 2 unions. That oughta secure his place in the history books.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
            I guess the prime minister was so sure of the outcome (i.e. that the majority of scots would decide to stay) that he thought: "Better let them cast their vote now (and have silence for another century or two before they demand another referendum) than at a worse time"

If Quebec is any guide it doesn't stop with one vote for No.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

As a half Scottish person I must say this is the.dumbest vote ever and an independent Scotland would be an economic basket case despite the SNP's plan which seems to be based on wishful thinking, rainbows, and unicorn farts.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Can't Parliament just revoke that authority then?
                You aren't really buying into this "democracy" and "self-determination" concepts, are you?
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

We can't stop them using the pound in a sterlingised economy should they choose to, but that's a bit of a 3rd World approach to running things.
                  Not to mention that (if I've understood this correctly) the EU won't admit a country that follows that route.

Comment

In the United States, the states have authority over all matters not particularly specified in the constitution as belonging to the federal government, or otherwise forbidden from interference by the government in general. That's not true in Britain. In Britain, my understanding is that legally the government is allowed to proscribe exactly the rights of the Scottish Parliament. So can't it just say "you're not allowed to vote for independence?"

Also, even though we have state's rights here, that has been decided (admittedly, through war) to mean that states still can't vote to be independent.

Comment

In the United States, the states have authority over all matters not particularly specified in the constitution as belonging to the federal government, or otherwise forbidden from interference by the government in general. That's not true in Britain. In Britain, my understanding is that legally the government is allowed to proscribe exactly the rights of the Scottish Parliament. So can't it just say "you're not allowed to vote for independence?"

Also, even though we have state's rights here, that has been decided (admittedly, through war) to mean that states still can't vote to be independent.
                      What is frequently misunderstood about the British political system is that what may be allowed on paper is not in any way, shape or form an indication of would be permitted to happen in reality. On paper our Queen could dissolve parliament tomorrow just because she felt like it, but it wouldn't be allowed to happen because it would lead to the immediate dissolution of the monarchy. Similarly, for government to refuse to allow people the right to self-determination, or to hold a referendum on independence and then try and ignore it would lead to dire political consequences.

We're a democracy and when people try and act undemocratically we get rather annoyed about it.

The stupid thing about the referendum is not that it's being held, but that a simple majority is enough to win it. For an issue as serious as independence that is absolute insanity. The polling is currently neck and neck, so whichever side wins, Scotland is going to be a deeply divided nation for years to come.

Comment

So how is it legally binding at all? Parliament could just pass a law saying "just kidding". Or just not recognize it. I mean, I can see a number of maneuvers to make that work--their refusal to accept the national debt, for instance.
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

So can't it just say "you're not allowed to vote for independence?"
                          No.

Democratic process #1

A referendum was held as to whether Scotland should have devolved power and a Parliament. That referendum was passed with a clear majority.

Democratic process #2

The Scottish electorate elected the SNP.

Democratic process #3

The SNP-controlled Scottish Parliament passed a referendum bill.

Democratic process #4

Here we are at the referendum.

Attempting to revoke that lot would be a clear violation of democratic process, of the principles of self-determination, and unacceptable tyranny.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            So how is it legally binding at all? Parliament could just pass a law saying "just kidding". Or just not recognize it. I mean, I can see a number of maneuvers to make that work--their refusal to accept the national debt, for instance.
                            You wouldn´t want to have rioting scotsmen rampaging through Londons streets, wearing kilts and wielding claymores
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

If they secede they're out of NATO and the EU, and I doubt any countries with separatist movements (paging Spain) are going to let them in.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                                If they secede they're out of NATO and the EU, and I doubt any countries with separatist movements (paging Spain) are going to let them in.
                                With regards to the EU that´s not totally clear yet ...
                                some informations say that they would be allowed to immediately enter EU membership upon independency as if they had always been member
                                other information say that they have to apply for membership like a totally new nation (which then may be blocked by the current members).

Comment

Working...
                                X