No announcement yet.

Neal and I lost a family member . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neal and I lost a family member . . . .

Our loveable, sassy, stubborn, gentle, cute dachshund, Ally, died several hours ago.

She was born in '98. Past few days, she was very ill with maybe a virus or some type of bacteria, but we thought she would recover from whatever it was. We can at least counsel ourselves that she died in her sleep, basking in the sunlight from through a window, with little or no pain. In spite of her old age, she had kept her mobility for most part, until she got seriously ill several days ago.

We still have our other family member, a dachshund who was one of Ally's pups back in the day; his name is Kolbi. I feel bad for Kolbi though; he was with Ally's body, after she had died, and now when Neal and I are gone for work or whatever, Kolbi will be all by himself for the first time in his life.

What can we do to help Kolbi cope better?

Our home feels a little more empty now, with Ally gone.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Sorry to hear it, man. Best wishes.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

My condolences.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Man, it sucks
        I outlived three of our family dogs so far, so I know the feeling.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

RIP
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You could always do what Roy Rogers did... But seriously, sorry for your loss.
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Sorry to hear.

You're used to having another dog around too, so the best solution might be adopting another dog?

I don't know dogs, but I suspect small but gentle breed, already past its puppy stage, might be a good idea?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Sad news, indeed. Sorry for your loss.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                  Sad news, indeed. Sorry for your loss.
                  thanks

Comment

Get another dog. Chosen carefully, it can give your old dog new life.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                      What can we do to help Kolbi cope better?
                      A kitten. He will become boss man and big bro, for a while.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

It sounds like the dog lived a long, full life. But yeah, a second dog would be a good idea.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Two of any type pet is better. They become friends and take some of the pressure off of their human.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                            Two of any type pet is better. They become friends and take some of the pressure off of their human.
                            agree

Raptor (on right) and Jones (on left)... my boys!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

One problem, if we decide to get a second dog though.

Neal had never gotten Kolbi neutered, and whenever he has been around other dogs that have come here with friends, he would be too aggressive in trying to . . . well, you know. And so the other dogs would snap at Kolbi, to get him to leave them alone, and thus make socializing with other dogs more difficult for Kolbi. He was even with this, with his own mother, Ally, periodically.

Comment

Working...
                              X