Humans Need Not Apply: Fast Food $15 Minimum Wage Strike Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humans Need Not Apply: Fast Food $15 Minimum Wage Strike Edition

Here's The Burger-Flipping Robot That Could Put Fast-Food Workers Out Of A Job

Dylan Love

Aug. 11, 2014, 10:05 AM

A company called Momentum Machines has built a robot that could radically change the fast-food industry and have some line cooks looking for new jobs.

The company's robot can "slice toppings like tomatoes and pickles immediately before it places the slice onto your burger, giving you the freshest burger possible." The robot is "more consistent, more sanitary, and can produce ~360 hamburgers per hour." That's one burger every 10 seconds.

The next generation of the device will offer "custom meat grinds for every single customer. Want a patty with 1/3 pork and 2/3 bison ground to order? No problem."

Momentum Machines cofounder Alexandros Vardakostas told Xconomy his "device isn’t meant to make employees more efficient. It’s meant to completely obviate them." Indeed, marketing copy on the company's site reads that their automaton "does everything employees can do, except better."

This directly raises a question that a lot of smart people have contemplated: Will robots steal our jobs? Opinion is divided of course. Here's what Momentum Machines has to say on the topic:

The issue of machines and job displacement has been around for centuries and economists generally accept that technology like ours actually causes an increase in employment. The three factors that contribute to this are 1. the company that makes the robots must hire new employees, 2. the restaurant that uses our robots can expand their frontiers of production which requires hiring more people, and 3. the general public saves money on the reduced cost of our burgers. This saved money can then be spent on the rest of the economy.

If we are to undertake the lofty ambition of changing the nature of work by way of robots, the fast-food industry seems like a good place to start, considering its inherently repetitive tasks and minimal skill requirements. Any roboticist worth his or her salt jumps at tasks described as repetitive and easy — perfect undertakings for a robot.

Here's a schematic of what the burger-bot looks like and how it works. It occupies 24 square feet, so it's much smaller than most assembly-line fast-food operations. It boasts "gourmet cooking methods never before used in a fast food restaurant" and will even deposit your completed burger into a bag. It's a veritable Gutenberg printing press for hamburgers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]176750[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

This raises the question though: If we can have robots do this, then why don't we have them all sorts of other things? I'm guessing the actually working model of this type of robotics, which can be put in various restaurants, may be several decades off.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This directly raises a question that a lot of smart people have contemplated...

Watch out, smart people. Soon robots will be doing the contemplating.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Not that we should save fast food jobs for people but really, what do you do with low skill workers?
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

What's the price? I suspect this machine actually will do an inferior job and that it will be problematic compared to a human plus it will probably cost so much it is cheaper to just pay a human $15 per hour than to pay $200,000 for the machine.

If the costs came down dramatically then they would be adopted, no doubt.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Not that we should save fast food jobs for people but really, what do you do with low skill workers?
            What are we going to do without farming jobs? Used to have half the people of American employed on them. Costs for fast food would actually drop once this gets rolling. Imagine the size of the kitchen you would need to run these things?
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

cheaper to just pay a human $15 per hour than to pay $200,000 for the machine.
              15/hr *24 * 365 - 121k (*2) because of taxes = 242k.

Not even counting depreciation - so long as the machine holds up for one year, they'll save money.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                This raises the question though: If we can have robots do this, then why don't we have them all sorts of other things? I'm guessing the actually working model of this type of robotics, which can be put in various restaurants, may be several decades off.
                I guess you haven't seen this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  What are we going to do without farming jobs? Used to have half the people of American employed on them. Costs for fast food would actually drop once this gets rolling. Imagine the size of the kitchen you would need to run these things?
                  Well, I don't really think this technology has the same impact that industrialization and the internal combustion engine and non naturally occurring nitrogen rich fertilizer had on agriculture.
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Well, I don't really think this technology has the same impact that industrialization and the internal combustion engine and non naturally occurring nitrogen rich fertilizer had on agriculture.
                    Would you mind if a good burger meal were 2 bucks?

Comment

what do you do with low skill worker?
                      early in the morning?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        All I know is that if robots were capable of doing complex things right now for reasonably affordable prices, we'd have sex robots all over the place by now.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I celebrated strike day by going to a Jack In The Box and using the kiosk.

I jumped six places in line that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            All I know is that if robots were capable of doing complex things right now for reasonably affordable prices, we'd have sex robots all over the place by now.
                            Instead, we're getting lawyer robots all over the place.

Comment

Freeing up the labor force for more productive activities

It's a modern day cotton gin

Comment

Working...
                              X