Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do gun owners ever feel guilty after a gun accident involving their gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      While I usually like the authors of that book, their back-of-the-napkin calculations factor in all guns... not households with guns. Some households have more than one gun... or many guns.

Try again.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I don't think you understand how math works. 175 kids die a year from guns. Even if each household with guns has like 20 guns, that's still a miniscule risk. There are actually more households with guns than swimming pools.

Comment

175 kids die a year from guns.
          You know... statistics exist for such things.
          (hint, you are wrong... try google)

When you want to enter the realm of facts, let me know.

Also, in addition to using faulty math, the authors cherrypicked "children under ten".

Sadly, teenagers die from guns too.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention though. I had a high opinion of the authors of Freakonomics but haven't read the book. Now I know I can avoid it.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            What's your thoughts on Pool control, Doc Strangelove? Should there be requirements on securing your pool from unauthorized access?
            In many localities there are already such rules.

If a seven year old drowns in my pool I won't rest until I find the B*****d who planted a pool on my premisis. This isn't Los Angeles you know.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
              You know... statistics exist for such things.
              (hint, you are wrong... try google)

When you want to enter the realm of facts, let me know.
              Read the article again.

Comment

Read the article again.
                I did. The more I do, the more flaws I find.

They falsely use total number of guns vs households with guns. They cherry-pick "children under ten".

And you say I don't understand math?

Furthermore, there's a focus on household accidents (which is the thread topic, but if you want to talk about pools being more deadly than guns, you're being extremely dishonest by not looking at total gun deaths)... further skewing the numbers. Luckily for them, pools mainly kill children at homes. Sadly, guns are a lot more mobile and able to wreak havoc everywhere they are.

If you are legitimately arguing this idiocy and not trolling, we're done here. I don't have time today for such stupidity.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Actual facts... if you care not to be so stupid.

The risk presented by guns is much worse by orders of magnitude than you are trying to make it out to be.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The risk presented by guns is much worse by orders of magnitude than you are trying to make it out to be.
                    Ooh. Nice bait and switch, Sava. Why are you against Pool control?
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

We already have pool control.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

If it's any consolation, the liberal elitists over at EA have made it impossible to drown your toddler in the pool in Sims 4 (by not including toddlers and pools)... thus furthering the agenda of big pool.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

We could fill the pools with guns and make them safer

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                            Actual facts... if you care not to be so stupid.

So let's see..."children under twenty"..."More than half of the gun injuries involved an attack on the child, but nearly one-third were unintentional"..."Three of four hospitalizations of children younger than 10 resulted from accidental injuries."..."84 percent of these shootings involved teens aged 15 to 19, and two-thirds of those were related to assaults"...""Some of these are school shootings, some are gang-related, some are related to fights or disagreements"...

These are facts, but they are either irrelevant to this discussion, or supports to pool contention.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                              So let's see..."children under twenty"..."More than half of the gun injuries involved an attack on the child, but nearly one-third were unintentional"..."Three of four hospitalizations of children younger than 10 resulted from accidental injuries."..."84 percent of these shootings involved teens aged 15 to 19, and two-thirds of those were related to assaults"...""Some of these are school shootings, some are gang-related, some are related to fights or disagreements"...

These are facts, but they are either irrelevant to this discussion, or supports to pool contention.
                              So... you're going to back yourself into the alamo of semantics.

Good plan

BTW, it seems to me that guns only get more deadly to a particular age group the older you get (up until a certain point, obviously).

The danger with pools seems to dissipate quite rapidly the more aware and in control of yourself you get as you age.

Solid argument.

morons
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Nice catch. Most of the injuries were from assaults between teenagers.

Look, Sava - even the good doctor agrees with you that pools are more dangerous than guns to children.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X