Help me understand human nature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
    That's what you get with people who are conditioned to think that a good movie must have an recognizable and exicting plot. When they come across movie that isn't centered on the plot they feel lost and they'll dismiss it as artsy.
    It takes precisely no skill or talent to put two characters together and have them bumble around aimlessly for an extended period of time. It takes only a little talent to have them interact with each other in a more or less believable way, while still failing to move the action forward or develop as characters. I should know. I've done that **** by accident plenty of times, it's not hard. You just bought Coppola's artistic laziness as somehow meaningful.

EDIT: Actually, it's been like eight years since I saw the thing; did they somehow develop as characters? Don't remember any, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      It takes precisely no skill or talent to put two characters together and have them bumble around aimlessly for an extended period of time. It takes only a little talent to have them interact with each other in a more or less believable way, while still failing to move the action forward or develop as characters. I should know. I've done that **** by accident plenty of times, it's not hard. You just bought Coppola's artistic laziness as somehow meaningful.
      You just didn't get it or there was something that bothered you and your switched off your "antenas" (you perceived it as narcisistic naval-gazing? their "lifestyle" got in the way? - whereas what it talked about was pretty much universal)

Anyway about taste there's not much to say. One can like something and not like something else. Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        What about "Tree of Life" and "To the Wonder"?
        Not seen and I don't intend to. Wouldn't have watched Badlands either if I had known beforehand it was by the same guy who made Thin Red Line.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Uh, yeah, I get that they were feeling sort of listless and out-of-sorts with their lives and all that. But that's not a story. Stories involve change, something happening. A thematic snapshot of two largely static characters is only part of a movie.

Xpost
          1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            ...did they somehow develop as characters?
            Why should they? It's just a portrait of two people in a specific place at a specific point in their lives. That conflicts with your hollywoodian sense of what a movie should be like.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

What should have happened so that you are happy?

The film does a great job of getting you inside their psyche. What has happened is seeing and feeling how they felt.
              The film and the end did have a "happening". Them actually connecting. Completely different and exactly the same.
              And it's not so far from reality either.

Should they have won the lotto or protect the planet from a meteor shower for you to be happy

Comment

anyway here are stories that are portrait centered and "something happens" as that there's a breakthrough in peoples' lives, if that appeals more to you

a great one
                1.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/

and a light hearted comedy
                2. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2800240/

Comment

It only took one page for the Apolyton "the fappening" thread to turn to a discussion of Star Wars movies ... SORRY HOLLYWOOD ACTRESSES, PUBLICITY STUNT FAILED!

Comment

There's only so much to talk about with Jennifer Lawrence's nudes. I'm not interested in them for discussion purposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      You should write movie reviews
                      Elok's reviews are often off-base and a usually consist of a collection of cliched remarks meant to sound edgy but lack in both cohesion and authenticity. He either sacrifices substance for style or style for substance failing to deliver on either. The best example I can think of are those youtube videos of people who tried to emulate Yahtzee during the height of his popularity. I hate to use a cliche like this myself, but it really is that he lacks a voice and his attempts to copy others' are hollow. Sorry if this is too critical.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
                        Why should they? It's just a portrait of two people in a specific place at a specific point in their lives. That conflicts with your hollywoodian sense of what a movie should be like.
                        No, that conflicts with several thousand years of narrative tradition where there's, well, a conflict, and it gets resolved somehow. It doesn't have to be a violent conflict, or an external conflict, or a really super-dramatic conflict, but there really ought to be some kind of problem at hand, or at least change. Stasis is boring, and for that matter false to reality. Everyone changes. Now, it usually happens on a slower scale than it does in movies, but that's because movies can't show you years on screen, and change can be very subtle. If someone spends an extended period of time not developing, that person is almost by definition unhealthy. Which, as it happens, would make it an excellent setup for a movie . . .
                        1011 1100

Comment

• Elok that is a terrible critique. There is no one right kind of writing. However, there are plenty of wrong kinds.

Anyway, it's been so long since I saw the movie that I can't make specific points about it. But I can say that you're failure to get the point does not make the movie bad.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                            Elok's reviews are often off-base and a usually consist of a collection of cliched remarks meant to sound edgy but lack in both cohesion and authenticity. He either sacrifices substance for style or style for substance failing to deliver on either. The best example I can think of are those youtube videos of people who tried to emulate Yahtzee during the height of his popularity. I hate to use a cliche like this myself, but it really is that he lacks a voice and his attempts to copy others' are hollow. Sorry if this is too critical.
                            And yet you can't shut up about me, can you? I just knew this post was going to be critical of me, even though there's a whole thread full of posts here, IIRC you hadn't posted in it yet (don't feel like checking), and I don't believe I've spoken critically of you ever since we buried the old hatchet last year. I've thanked a few things I liked and held my peace on all the rest. Not going to argue with you here, or click on any more "view post"s, just saying, speaking of static characters . . .

(also "style for substance" and vice versa would also count as cliches)
                            1011 1100

Comment

• I hardly ever post about you. But since you'd like me to continue, your writing is hackneyed and painful and your reasoning is incredibly narrow. You make a conclusion and then find evidence to support it disregarding everything else. In fact, you don't just dismiss other approaches, they seem to simply not exist to you.

I've never met someone who knows so much esoterica but lacks more than a shallow understanding of any topic. It's like you think just being able to reference zoroastrianism is enough contribution to a conversation. You're basically the Family Guy of pretentious *****.
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Wow, I wrote that with an even tone, but it really does come across harsh. I apologize for that, but damn your writing is painful.
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X