Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Doctor Told Me I Should Vaccinate My Children, But ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    It's also not a communicable disease. You can't catch HPV just from being in the same room as someone.
    Is Ebola a communicable disease? How about Typhoid fever? Cholera? Hepatitis A?
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Doc, you violated Prime Directive 3.2. Never quote a BK post, because then the vast numbers with him on ignore will get mad.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

When I was 17 and my mother was taking me to get my HPV vaccine I complained to her, "I can't get cervical cancer." She was not amused.

Comment

She didn't want to have that "talk" with you just yet.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
            Doc, you violated Prime Directive 3.2. Never quote a BK post, because then the vast numbers with him on ignore will get mad.

Quotes of ignored people are still ignored after the forum update a few months ago, so long as it contains the actual post tag.

Blessedly.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
              When I was 17 and my mother was taking me to get my HPV vaccine I complained to her, "I can't get cervical cancer." She was not amused.
              Nor should she have been.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Ahh, that's good then

Comment

Is Ebola a communicable disease? How about Typhoid fever? Cholera? Hepatitis A?
                  You're comparing the transmission of Ebola to HPV? Seriously, Doc?

Tell me, what's the most common vector for HPV transmission.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Nor should she have been.
                    Do you make your male patients get Pap smears?
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

1. Communicable disease doesn't mean that. Your first innoculation, as a 1 day old baby, is for Hep B, which is not air-transmissible either (has exactly the same transmission vectors, as far as I know, as HPV).
                      As opposed to measles, mumps, rubella, Pertussis, and diphtheria, all of which are air-transmissible? Curious you would jump right to Hepatitis B and not the diseases that I actually discussed.

2. 15% or more of women have the cancer-causing variants HPV, and an appreciable number of men do as well (I don't see explicit numbers, but they seem to be roughly equivalent). Most of both groups don't know they have it.
                      Again, how does that justify mandatory inoculations? I'm not opposed to people choosing the HPV vaccine. Same with Hepatitis B. But I don't think they should be mandatory while MMR and DPT are mandatory. .

3. A study showed 21% of middle class, married women, most with children, had the disease, even though they're at the lowest risk level (due to relatively high sexual fidelity rates).
                      Great, then they should get treated for it and then inoculated.

But of course since it only really affects women, it's not important.
                      Please show me where I said this?

Comment

Once a person has the disease innoculation is useless.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

The state's interests in protecting the health of its members and your personal interest in practicing your religion's ethical behaviors are separate and discrete. The state's interest in immunization is solely in eliminating disease entirely through herd immunity. As such, requiring immunizations makes sense, since the state cannot enforce the behavior that a particular religion promotes.

Comment

The state's interests in protecting the health of its members and your personal interest in practicing your religion's ethical behaviors are separate and discrete.
                            You were challenged to show how HPV transmission is similar to Diptheria, Pertussis, Measles, Mumps and Rubella. I suggest you address this argument. The state has an interest in mandatory inoculation of these diseases because of their mode of transmission (airborne).

Given that HPV is not transmitted in the same fashion demonstrates why the state should not require HPV inoculations.

The state's interest in immunization is solely in eliminating disease entirely through herd immunity.
                            Yes, and how does Herd immunity work with HPV? Each disease has different factors as to how they operate within herd immunity. Diptheria, Pertussis, Measles, Mumps and Rubella all have high modifiers indicating that immunization of these diseases will generally achieve herd immunity.

As such, requiring immunizations makes sense
                            Not for HPV.

since the state cannot enforce the behavior that a particular religion promotes.
                            Interesting. Where has anyone stated religion as a motivation? I suggest you address the arguments presented, not the arguments you wish were presented.

Comment

Once a person has the disease innoculation is useless.
                              Doc, what's the answer to my question? What is the number one transmission vector of HPV?

Comment

None of those things are relevant. Goodbye. You are the weakest link.

Comment

Working...
                                X