Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Neal Stephenson Questions (ancient spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Neal Stephenson Questions (ancient spoilers)

1. Should I get the Baroque Cycle? The excerpt I read in the back of my copy of Cryptonomicon (which someone thoughtfully abandoned at the waiting room in the hospital where Malcolm was born) didn't seem especially exciting, but I mostly read him for the "Stephensonian asides," not the plot. You know, the long, terminally crazy digressions about things like furniture fetishes and the ingredients of condiments found in pubs.

2. WTF is up with Enoch Root in Cryptonomicon? I feel embarrassed asking this because it seems such a ghastly oversight that I'm sure it was hinted his death was faked or something, and I just missed it, like a dummy, both times I read this thing. But it drives me crazy that the book says he's killed in the forties, to the point of showing the doctor making his death certificate, only to have him show up alive and kicking in Randy's cell fifty years later. Am I supposed to understand that he didn't actually die in that scene, but they made it look that way so Julieta could inherit as his wife without the hassle of actual marriage or something? But why the hell was Shaftoe mourning, then? Ngggh!
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

yes

( )
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava is correct on both counts.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Elok is a nerd.
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

1. Yes. It's pretty interesting, and the history side of thing is very compelling. The plot isn't terrible.

2. Enoch Root is some sort of immortal something or another who is behind the New World Order or some equivalent thereof, partially. Basically, it's complicated, but he's not exactly normal. This was either explicitly stated or made pretty obvious to me, though I am used to reading things like this.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
          X