Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do we do when when nobody has a job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of warmongering warmonger are you?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Your point is that the mean age in China is almost the same as the mean age in the US?
      Right now there are more Americans under 30 as a percentage of the population than Chinese folks under 30.

China has more folks in the ages from 30-50, and America has more 50+ and more 30-. Those are the inflection points at present.

China has a roughly 9 percent gap in total workers over America's dependency ratios.

That represents a tremendous deceleration in growth for China. Remember that in recent decades the majority of growth in population for the United States has come from immigration. Try finding those figures for the mid-1990's, mid-1980's and mid-1970's.
      What it represents (or will in a few years), is the birth dearth in China. Their workforce crested in 2010. They will be short some 50 million people, every year, for at least the next 40 years.

The point is that China has more than 4 times the population of the US yet less territory to put them on.
      If you took everyone in the world, you could put them on an average family plot in the US and fit them all in Texas. The problem isn't overpopulation.

They would actually like to whittle down some of that population.
      That is coming.
      Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 26, 2014, 12:47.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
        What kind of warmongering warmonger are you?
        I'd rather focus on domestic enemies.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

/points to China

you dumb****
          China's window is 2020. They will be older than America by then and have the exact same dependency ratios.

Looking at active duty...

Average American serviceman is 28. So the pool that America is drawing from is slightly larger than China's for the first time ever.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
            We don't have a party that is willing to make such changes. New parties don't survive in the United States. There hasn't been a new party that has broken into the national system in over 160 years. When the troubles come our government will bail out the banks and corporations and send in the National Guard for the rest. Hmmmmm............. By then the National Guard might be robotic. The news will be robotic too, so move along people, nothing to see here!

That's pretty cynical.

The last time there was mass unemployment in the US on a scale that threatened the establishment there was this guy who came along and managed to pass and implement some sort of new deal. Even there things will get done when the masses start to break the crockery.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
              China's window is 2020. They will be older than America by then and have the exact same dependency ratios.

Looking at active duty...

Average American serviceman is 28. So the pool that America is drawing from is slightly larger than China's for the first time ever.
              Nothing you said has anything to do anything. You are categorically wrong and should be shot into the sun.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                Nothing you said has anything to do anything. You are categorically wrong and should be shot into the sun.
                Why do you hate the sun?
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I was trying a new walking/jogging/running route today and ****ing thunderstorms ruined it

I had to sprint home

and much to everyone's disappointment , i did nnot get hit by lightning

the sun is out now

sun

I might go try and walk the route again... I was trying to see if I could find a 5+ mile route in my neighborhood, going through every street and cul de sac without crossing my path

it's an OCD wet dream
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Driverless vehicles? Even in D.C. streets? An autonomous car takes a capital test run.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                      That's pretty cynical.

The last time there was mass unemployment in the US on a scale that threatened the establishment there was this guy who came along and managed to pass and implement some sort of new deal. Even there things will get done when the masses start to break the crockery.
                      That was before there was TV, Fox news, and televangelists. The trick is the news is already robotic.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        If you took everyone in the world, you could put them on an average family plot in the US and fit them all in Texas. The problem isn't overpopulation.
                        Are you using 1/3 acre as the average family plot and putting one person in each plot? Multiply that by 7 billion, divide by 640 acres per square mile and see how that measures up to Texas' 268,000 squre miles.

Comment

you should probably also divide by 4-5 for each family...

I grew up on 8000 sqf (call it just under 0.2 acres) in the suburbs (small 4 bedroom house) with 6 people living in it. That is 0.03 acres per person. Family income was higher than the median (call it 70-100k).

At that rate you would need ~330000 sqm

So not that far off.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

He said average, which is a 130 by 100 foot plot, which is 13,000 sqf, about 1/3 acre. I don't know if that's just people living in their own homes or includes apartment dwellers.
                            Let's see, divide 7.1 billion by 6, that's 1.18 billion residences, multiply by 0.2 is 236 million acres, divide by 640 acre / sqm. That's closer to 400,000 sqm.

Comment

I grew up on 8000 sqf (call it just under 0.2 acres) in the suburbs (small 4 bedroom house) with 6 people living in it. That is 0.03 acres per person. Family income was higher than the median (call it 70-100k).

At that rate you would need ~330000 sqm

So not that far off.
                              Average as a synonym for 'mediocre', not say, a mean or median. Thanks KH. The numbers are not unreasonable. TX is big.

Comment

The most mediocre people only occupy the space they are standing on! We could fit them all in a space slightly bigger than rhode island!
                                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                                X