Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do we do when when nobody has a job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
    If you can do it, so can everyone else.
    Not everyone has a sonic screwdriver!
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Anyone who wants one can make one with their 3D printer.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

and how long have they been saying we'll have flying cars?? I really don't see a 2001 AI whatever its name was anytime soon.

you'll see 'neat' ways to make something look smart... but true AI at human levels... no.

now we might see robots for the military used for all out fighting... but the evil US could take over now anyway, and these robots will be no smarter than a f16.

Comment

Does this mean I'm ahead of my time?
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

why? did you program some amazing AI?

Comment

<----- no job
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                <----- no job
                I thought you were saying you're a human level AI.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I can tell you that I almost bought a "Baxter" at work to see if I could replace a human. Really slow, went to demo, really-really slow and not capable of small judgements (vision system not great for small items).

I will admit that this is a start....just the beginning.
                  We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Which human were you trying to replace?
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Factory worker.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
                        I can tell you that I almost bought a "Baxter" at work to see if I could replace a human. Really slow, went to demo, really-really slow and not capable of small judgements (vision system not great for small items).

I will admit that this is a start....just the beginning.
                        ...and that avatar...waitaminute...

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

My goal is to be one of the last productive humans. I'm pretty sure that by the time the bots get to me there will only be a million or so people working. I bet this will prove lucrative. Then I can enjoy the singularity on a private beach somewhere.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I will sell EMP job security devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              While this is a possibility, it assumes something rather naive: that AI will have motivations that translate cleanly into human intention. There's no particularly good reason why that would be the case. What is more worrisome to the AI enthusiasts is something called subgoal stomp, where short-sighted programming puts too much weight on a subgoal, leading an AI to "stomp" over more important goals.

Subgoal stomp happens in humans. For example, evolution made sugars taste really ****ing good, because they're a great source of calories and it's important to hoard them in case of shortages. But when calories are no longer scarce, evolution's short-sighted design leads to subgoal stomp, causing us to consume calories in excess, leading to diseases of affluence. So we end up killing ourselves, but not because of any malice or evil intentions.

With AI, the thought is not that AI will suddenly develop the urge to kill all humans, but that some calculus may cause an AI to lose sight of the value of humans in favor of another goal, even if that other goal is ultimately subservient to the goal of human welfare. So we all get turned into paperclips, as TMM's comic references.
                              are you trying to tell me that the terminator was not an accurate prediction of the future?!

seriously though, interesting post. thanks.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                                My vote is for pursuing creative endeavors and learning for its own sake.
                                What about people whose idea of creativity is Jackass and whose last learning experience was Duck Dynasty?

Anyway, why should the owners of those robots pay you to go all tie-dyed and Walden Pond?

Perhaps they'll set apart reservations where the unemployed masses can make a living on their own dimes.
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X