The alternative film thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The alternative film thread

This is a thread where we can put youtube movies that are descriptive of what happens in some countries/situations.

It's not for blockbuster braincrap, some could call them "cultural" or whatever the term, I think they're just interesting.

It's good if you have a youtube link so that one can watch them right off the bat.

I'll start with persepolis. A nice anime film of what happened with the left wing in iran before and after the religious revolution there (which was a (self destructive) counterpunch to western meddling and exploitation)

Oh yes. And it's good if the film has subtitles in english or spoken english (best subtitles) so we can understand.

i've seen that film, it was great. it also talks about what happened after the revolution. i'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

i'm going to recommend fidaï a film about one man's experiences during the algerian independence war and his life today. only the trailer is available on youtube, but it's very interesting and well worth watching, if you can find it.

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Guy Maddin's The Nude Caboose -

NSFW

Yes, I'm in it. It was an experimental film that showed @ Sundance.

(Oh yes, it contains a bit of nudity...)
      Last edited by Uncle Sparky; August 20, 2014, 15:24.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
        Guy Maddin's The Nude Caboose -

Yes, I'm in it. It was an experimental film that showed @ Sundance.

(Oh yes, it contains a bit of nudity...)
        my eyes...
        that's too much culture

Comment

Spoiler or remove that, please. The frame by itself is NSFW.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Comment

Yugoslavian war

Comment

Chilean dictatorship
                (can't find the full film. Can't guarantee you won't sleep though it, it is very slow, but interesting. Rough edges have been taken off which diminishes the end result)

Comment

'Hunger' Steve McQueen's surprisingly beautiful at times film about the I.R.A. dirty protest and hunger strikes.

Watched it after I almost broke my wrist on Sunday. Nothing better to take your mind off pain than someone else's greater pain and suffering.

I'd also recommend Pontecorvo's 'The Battle Of Algiers' and the Hungarian film 'Another Way'. Oh and Chris Menges's 'A World Apart' which reduced me to tears by the end...

'Another Way' :

'A World Apart' :

Some battles, wars, can be won.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                      This is a thread where we can put youtube movies that are descriptive of what happens in some countries/situations.

It's not for blockbuster braincrap, some could call them "cultural" or whatever the term, I think they're just interesting.

Great film, but it's not made by Hollywood, so unlikely to be of interest to the majority of the readers of this thread...
                      It's good if you have a youtube link so that one can watch them right off the bat.

I'll start with persepolis. A nice anime film of what happened with the left wing in iran before and after the religious revolution there (which was a (self destructive) counterpunch to western meddling and exploitation)

Oh yes. And it's good if the film has subtitles in english or spoken english (best subtitles) so we can understand.

"Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

perhaps a little too mainstream for this thread, but i saw la famille bélier at the weekend. it's a ligth comedy about a family of deaf farmers whose daughter - the only one in the family who can hear - discovers that she can sing. if you looking for some light entertainment, i'd highly recommend this charming and funny film.

here's a trailer.

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I saw it. It was good

one that is dramatic and funny at the same time

Comment

Comment

I've been trying to go watch this for three days and something always happens (I get lazy)
                              But apparently it's good

Comment

Working...
                              X