I need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice

And Apolyton has a wide range of professionals in varied fields. So after three years as a software developer I am completely maxed out in my career at this point. I guess I should be happy I made it to the salary and level I'm at right now in such a short period of time, especially since most people never even make it to six figures. I feel nothing though. There are people where I'm at right now who have information that is beyond me. I can tell when we have high level academic discussions about architecture and software patterns that I am not still not at their level. It's only a matter of time though before I take on everything they know like I have at every other place I've been. Over the past year and a half I switched jobs 4 times, each time soaking up all the information they had in a matter of months and then moving on like a locust to the next one.

That's coming to an end though, both from a salary stand point and information stand point. Everything is finite, and I have reached the limit. There will always be things to learn in software development, but the law of diminishing returns is setting in. I estimate I have about 6 months left before I will be simply putting in my time each day and picking up my paycheck. I know lots of people who are in that mode, and they're perfectly happy with what they make and do. For me though, I have to be moving forward every day or my whole world falls apart. There is nowhere left to move up to at my years of experience. I am in a situation right now where all i can really do is just sit and wait for the years to go by. No amount of skill or knowledge is going to let me move forward at this point. The money is good where I work, but I hate the work I do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly grateful for where I'm at now considering I was a step away from being homeless just 3 years ago. I am in no way whining about anything, but I am looking for a way to continue moving forward. I have numerous start up ideas I'm working on on the side with people (one of the up sides of being a consultant you meet all kinds of people who want to start side projects with you), so I will probably always be doing software development and enjoying it. From a day job perspective though...I feel like the ceiling as a software developer is too low.

So, I need advice on how to keep moving forward. I have no doubt that if I spent the next 5+ years just doing what I'm doing I'd probably be able to move up some more, but who knows how much and how long it would take. I've already started branching out into other areas to get a very large base of knowledge including general business, finance, and I may even add law to that list. Would an MBA open doors? How about process certifications like Six Sigma and ITIL? Anyone here have experience as a sales engineer or know of some other areas a software developer can move into? Thanks.

Six Sigma would be a good thing to add.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

That response is completely useless.

Comment

this aint the place to plan your career.

Comment

I actually made this post on other forums first, but there used to be people on here from a lot of different fields. Apparently now it's for middle aged men still making "drunk posts." I remember I did one here when I was about 19, and I still feel like an idiot for doing it. Which is why I'm speechless at the amount you have made here in just the past month.

Comment

Your post is completely useless.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

You brought up Six Sigma, Ass Wipe. I merely voiced a vote of agreement. So you're what's useless.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You didn't explain why Six Sigma would be useful. I could say any number of certifications might be "useful".

Comment

Nestor, you as a person are completely useless. A quick search of your posts proves that.

Comment

Stop obsessing over your career and get a gf or something.

Comment

Take up tennis instruction
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I think working part time as a marine and maybe as a bank teller or something would be more lucrative.

Comment

it's easy to see how this thread will go.

i'm in a good mood today, so i'll give some serious advice. it sounds your career is going well, so maybe it's time to focus on other areas of your life. there's a lot more to it than work.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Well, I'd be lying if I didn't think this thread would degenerate. There's a reason I posted to other forums first, but there really did used to be people from various fields here. And yes, I'm aware that I'm a workaholic and that my inability to cope with the fact that I may not have anything to look forward to other than putting in my time and collecting a paycheck is a sign of a lack of other areas in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
                              For me though, I have to be moving forward every day or my whole world falls apart.
                              Oh boy, my therapist would have fun with you.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X