Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar system scale web page - this is a big place. Even scrolls at light speed - which seems sooooo slow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar system scale web page - this is a big place. Even scrolls at light speed - which seems sooooo slow!

takes like a half hour or so to get to mars?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Should only take about 12 minutes. But yeah, light is slow.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

goddamn "mission to mars" movie lied to me

I think it was the gary sinise/tim robbins one
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well, it depends. It could take upwards of 20 minutes to get a message from Earth to Mars, if they're at opposite ends of their orbits. So there's a between distance where it could take half an hour to get there and back again. /me shrugs.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Google's source says:
            All communication between Mars and Earth goes through satellites. Because of the distance, there is a substantial delay. As communication signals travel at the speed of light, this means that it can take between 3 and 22 minutes for the information to reach the other end, so a phone call would not be practical.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

than go from mars to Jupiter... that's a trip!

Comment

I saw a program that guessed what kind of life would/could exist in Jupiter's atmosphere.

It was pretty trippy.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I bet nothing... but on the moons... maybe.

Comment

I bet neither one of us will find out the answer in our lifetimes.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Maybe you need to raise your life expectancy.

Comment

If the next 34 is going to be anything like the first 34, I'd rather not.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

oh... I think so... if you live another 30 years. Now, if there is nothing else out there... than yeah, we will not see it - nothing to see.

As far as intelligent life/advanced life if this part of the galaxy... one thing you can say for sure - we don't live down town on main street.

I still think mars is #1 chance of anything. it will be small... but it's not too cold, not too much radiation (Jupiter and moons are bathed in it). Saturn/titan. too cold. way too cold.

of course... we may be it. might not be anything else like us for some distance - or time.

but when you see the distance between planets... wow - I really don't think people will ever make it to the nearest stars. it's just too far.

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV View Post

As far as intelligent life/advanced life if this part of the galaxy... one thing you can say for sure - we don't live down town on main street.
                            Would a microbe on Main Street know its on Main Street?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I would think not... but I wouldn't consider that intelligent life... or even advanced life. but not sure what the standard def for advance life is.

Comment

Working...
                              X