Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should atheists in America be allowed to marry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should atheists in America be allowed to marry?

Should two atheists be allowed to marry one another? Should an atheist and a Christian be allowed to marry one another?

I often hear the cliched retort from right-wingers that America is a CHRISTIAN nation. I think we would still have to allow Muslims and Jews to marry, because of the First Amendment. But the First Amendment seems to mean, "freedom OF religion," not, "freedom FROM religion."

So since America is a Christian nation, why are atheists allowed to marry? It doesn't seem that the First Amendment should apply to non-religious people.

It doesn't seem to matter to right-wingers that getting a marriage license through the state is not a religious sacrament, so I don't think that should stop any prohibition of atheists getting legally married.
    No - this is a CHRISTIAN nation, damn it!
    33.33%
    Yes - there's this thing called secular law.
    33.33%
    This is just another stupid MrFun thread, so just give me a secular banana - or a religious banana
    33.33%
    Last edited by MrFun; August 1, 2014, 16:43.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Opposition to gay marriage is stupid. All rational people realize this. In case you have been living under a rock, you're on the winning side.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

WELL NOW THIS POST IS IRRELEVANT
      Last edited by Sava; August 1, 2014, 16:47. Reason: OP fixed error
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava, by allowing non-Christian religious people to still get married, we would avoid having our government establishing one religion over others.

Comment

I don't care about that. You were factually wrong about the 1st Amendment.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
            Uhm. No.
            I have no reason to post in this thread now.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
              I don't care about that. You were factually wrong about the 1st Amendment.
              Yeah, I made an off-cuff mistake. I edited that post.

Comment

I like the idea of getting the government out of the marriage business altogether... sorting out things like benefits can be done with basic contracts...

though... I have no idea what all that would entail

if someone wants to figure it out and come up with their own plan, be my guest
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                  Yeah, I made an off-cuff mistake. I edited that post.
                  K
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Opposition to gay marriage is stupid. All rational people realize this. In case you have been living under a rock, you're on the winning side.
                    Coming from the same man who believes that Jews are evil, this somehow has less punch.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I like the idea of getting the government out of the marriage business altogether... sorting out things like benefits can be done with basic contracts
                      The problem is what do you do about family reunification, and immigration? Do you eliminate spousal visas? Spousal support in case of divorce, etc?

The argument, "lets get the government out of marriage", seems like a solution, but it's not, really. Government does have a role to play in marriage in enforcing the contracts between men and women. Always has had a role in it.

The problem with extending recognition is that it removes much of the underpinnings for state involvement, this will have consequences. If marriage itself becomes unrecognizeable ten what will eventually happen is that people will start arguing against spousal benefits in the case of divorce. There are a lot of parties that will benefit that believe they are currently getting a raw deal by the current system.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        The problem is what do you do about family reunification, and immigration? Do you eliminate spousal visas? Spousal support in case of divorce, etc?

The argument, "lets get the government out of marriage", seems like a solution, but it's not, really. Government does have a role to play in marriage in enforcing the contracts between men and women. Always has had a role in it.

The problem with extending recognition is that it removes much of the underpinnings for state involvement, this will have consequences. If marriage itself becomes unrecognizeable ten what will eventually happen is that people will start arguing against spousal benefits in the case of divorce. There are a lot of parties that will benefit that believe they are currently getting a raw deal by the current system.
                        There's not a single thing the government does WRT marriage that requires it to also perform and sanction marriages.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

There's not a single thing the government does WRT marriage that requires it to also perform and sanction marriages.
                          I listed two biggies - spousal support in divorce and spousal visas. Are you arguing that the state should do away with both?

Comment

No.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Then I rest my case, the government does have a significant role to play in marriage.

Comment

Working...
                              X