Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The House Republicans in U.S. Congress are pathetic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The House Republicans in U.S. Congress are pathetic.

Can the House Republicans possibly become even more dysfunctional than this? If Boehner is not in fact, really in charge of the House Republicans, who is? Ted Cruz?

Border failure rocks House GOP leadership
    07/31/14 03:03 PM—UPDATED 07/31/14 03:32 PM
    By Steve Benen

It’s hard to overstate what a humiliating failure this is for the House Republican leadership team, especially House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio).
    House Republican efforts to build support among their more conservative members collapsed Thursday as Congress prepares to cut town for a month-long recess without first passing a funding bill to address the thousands of unaccompanied minors being detained at the U.S. border.

Confronted with the Republican leadership’s inability to shore up enough votes, House Speaker John Boehner pulled the doomed legislation, which would have provided $659 million in emergency aid to the U.S. border.
    Congress is still prepared to leave town tonight for a five-week break, but lawmakers will leave having accomplished nothing in response to the humanitarian crisis along the U.S./Mexico border.

There’s still a small chance the House GOP will figure something out – there will reportedly be an emergency meeting within the hour, though it’s unclear what good it will do – but after exhaustive efforts, it appears House Republicans have killed their own party’s policy.

It was the first real test for the new House Republican leadership team and they appear to have failed miserably.

In a statement, Boehner blamed President Obama for Republicans’ inability to pass their own legislation and urged the president to take unilateral action regardless of Congress. The timing is breathtaking: literally yesterday, GOP lawmakers voted to sue Obama for circumventing Congress, and less than 24 hours later, Boehner is publicly urging Obama to circumvent Congress.

The resulting image is a helpless party, lacking leaders, direction, and purpose. House Republicans were desperate to prove they’re capable of being a governing party, and in the process, they’ve proven the opposite.

To be sure, the GOP border bill was, on a substantive level, pathetic. It would have done very little to address the problem, and its demise is a positive development for the country.

But the real story today is one of epic incompetence and a party that’s practically developed an allergy to completing the basic tasks of government.

This is, of course, great news for Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who now appears to have more influence over what happens in the House than the actual House Republican leadership team.

But in the meantime, John Boehner’s Speakership is turning into something of a tragedy. How many times has he put together a bill, only to be betrayed by his own followers? A Democratic source on Capitol Hill recently sent around a brutal collection of bills Boehner asked his members to support, only to see his own House GOP conference reject his appeals: a grand bargain, a debt-ceiling bill in 2011, a payroll tax extension, a transportation bill, a farm bill, one fiscal-cliff bill, another fiscal-cliff bill, another farm bill, and then yesterday. I think my source might have even missed a couple, including the collapse of Boehner’s debt-ceiling bill in February 2014.

We’ll have more on this later, but for now Boehner has to be asking himself about the value of a leader with no followers. As if we needed additional evidence, he remains the Speaker In Name Only.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

How very nice of you to save us the bother of going over to MSNBC and getting Rachel Maddow's opinion directly. I just know we were all planning to do that next. You are a true American, sir.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The neat thing about MrFun is that if you're quick on the refresh key you can know his opinions before he does.

Comment

I am flattered that you guys want to make every thread I post about me, but let's stick to the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
          How very nice of you to save us the bother of going over to MSNBC and getting Rachel Maddow's opinion directly. I just know we were all planning to do that next. You are a true American, sir.
          The other night she criticized Sen Tom Coburn for opposing a new VA facility in his home state of Oklahoma because it was too expensive. If he was a Democrat running for re-election she'd either be defending him or ignoring the matter.

This mess on the border is the result of 2 US wars - Cold and drugs. We waged both in proxy states and Latin America was ground zero.

The good news is the least productive Congress is cutting the deficit so Rachel Maddow can give Obama credit... I like an unproductive federal govt, I wish they'd do far less. Repeal some damn laws!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
            I am flattered that you guys want to make every thread I post about me, but let's stick to the topic.
            Of course; how silly of us. This isn't about you; it's about the tribal affiliation that ate your personality.

Anyway, I feel very strongly about this article I couldn't be bothered to read to the end of. If my eyes hadn't glazed over, I'd be writing some angry letters right now, yessiree.
            1011 1100

Comment

If the dysfunction of our legislative branch is of no concern to you, then don't partake in the thread.

How about this epic backpedalling (excerpt from article)?

In a statement, Boehner blamed President Obama for Republicans’ inability to pass their own legislation and urged the president to take unilateral action regardless of Congress. The timing is breathtaking: literally yesterday, GOP lawmakers voted to sue Obama for circumventing Congress, and less than 24 hours later, Boehner is publicly urging Obama to circumvent Congress.

Comment

Yeahhh, I really can't muster a givesa**** for that, sorry. It's all a stupid game, and you're a cheerleader for the other side. They don't bother hiding their opportunism very much because it doesn't matter; the extremists on their side would support them no matter what, the extremists on the other side would hate them no matter what, and they have to screw up really, really bad for anyone in the middle to even notice, since the system is almost designed to cater to extremists. As long as we retain our first-past-the-post voting system, this asinine circus will continue.
                1011 1100

Comment

The topic is your opinion that House Republicans are "pathetic". We can't really discuss your opinions without talking about you.

Comment

If the dysfunction of our legislative branch is of no concern to you, then don't partake in the thread.
                    Perhaps dysfunction is the will of a divided people. The House, more than any other branch of government, represents the people.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

He is a jack ass, but his predecessor told us we'd have to find out what was in Obamacare after it became law

Comment

Ugh, the irony in this thread is palpable.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

How about this epic backpedalling (excerpt from article)?
                          Boehner needs to check himself.

What you're calling dysfunction was known in other eras as checks and balances.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                            Boehner needs to check himself.

What you're calling dysfunction was known in other eras as checks and balances.
                            There is checks and balances, and then there is dysfunction. Two different things, and I think in this instance, we're talking about dysfunction, when the party's own leaders cannot muster enough support within its own party for something like this. It just seems like there's widening cracks within the Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                              Yeahhh, I really can't muster a givesa**** for that, sorry. It's all a stupid game, and you're a cheerleader for the other side. They don't bother hiding their opportunism very much because it doesn't matter; the extremists on their side would support them no matter what, the extremists on the other side would hate them no matter what, and they have to screw up really, really bad for anyone in the middle to even notice, since the system is almost designed to cater to extremists. As long as we retain our first-past-the-post voting system, this asinine circus will continue.
                              I'm interested in hearing what you think an alternative system should be.

It is interesting though, that conservative extremists have succeeded in gaining more influence/power within the Republican Party, as compared to liberal extremists achieving the same thing within the Democratic Party.

Comment

Working...
                              X