Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom

zevico's rather bizarre troll thread got me thinking about the subject of freedom and people's views on it. it's one of those things which everyone speaks of as an unalloyed good, but yet, in my view, when it comes down to it, very few people really believe in it as a concept.

there's quite a lot to say about this subject, but before i do, i'd like to ask people to give their views on what freedom is, and how it applies in the real world.

i'll start by giving my own broad definition: freedom is the ability to do as one pleases.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

I don't understand. "Freedom" is a word that has a definition.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

every word has a definition, but when people say they believe in freedom (or other concepts) they don't mean simply that they believe in the dictionary definition of it, but rather that they believe in it as a concept that can be applied to the real world. that's what i'm trying to get at. do people (think they) believe in freedom? what does freedom itself mean? and how does that apply (or how do people apply it) to real situations and contexts?
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I want to get a job with the OED just so I can **** with Sava's conception of reality.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
          every word has a definition, but when people say they believe in freedom (or other concepts) they don't mean simply that they believe in the dictionary definition of it, but rather that they believe in it as a concept that can be applied to the real world. that's what i'm trying to get at. do people (think they) believe in freedom? what does freedom itself mean? and how does that apply (or how do people apply it) to real situations and contexts?
          Are you testing how accurately people can rephrase the meaning of the word?

For all practical purposes, "freedom" is the absence of an authority figure inflicting punishment, exerting control, or restraining an individual.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

and do you yourself believe in it, that is, do you think that freedom, as per your own definition, is a good or positive thing? and do you think that in all situations?

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
              and do you yourself believe in it, that is, do you think that freedom, as per your own definition, is a good or positive thing? and do you think that in all situations?
              I believe words have definitions. I've merely offered a group of words that may or may not be accepted as an example of freedom. My statement's compatibility with the actual definition could also be analyzed for accuracy and measured.

"Freedom" is just a word. It's not good or bad. The concept of "freedom" is also morally neutral... and can be used to describe scenarios I find to be both good and bad.... freedom to rape children, etc.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Freedom is an interior state of perfect simplicity where one has renounced everything - up to the point of renouncing renouncing.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I want to punch you in the face so hard right now.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Not you, just your ego.

(I'm buddhist).

Comment

Don't take it personally... was just my honest reaction to your post. Also, it's not something I would argue against or anything. It's a pure gut feeling... just... UGHHHHHHHHHH
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I hereby renounce my desire to convince you.

(I'm still working on renouncing clicking the babe thread)

Comment

Stoics were concerned with the active relationship between cosmic determinism and human freedom, and the belief that it is virtuous to maintain a will (called prohairesis) that is in accord with nature. Because of this, the Stoics presented their philosophy as a way of life, and they thought that the best indication of an individual's philosophy was not what a person said but how that person behaved.[2]

Later Stoics—such as Seneca and Epictetus—emphasized that, because "virtue is sufficient for happiness", a sage was immune to misfortune.

Comment

It's weird. I'm generally totally on board with all of that.

I'm struggling to offer more of an explanation. No offense intended.

Also, if I ever see you criticize another religion for apparent contradictions, I'm going to get angry and call out your hypocrisy.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
                              Freedom is an interior state of perfect simplicity where one has renounced everything - up to the point of renouncing renouncing.
                              and how do you apply such a spiritual conception to the real world? or do you think that freedom is in fact only an internal matter and not something which acts upon the outside and others?

Comment

Working...
                              X