is this a horible confesion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
    I used to think that Gaga was one of those industrial music products.

My respect for her grew a lot after seeing this.

Uh, wait, she said this song was about her relationship with her grandad?
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I don't like the electronic stuff that much myself.

This might not really fit the topic for the thread but I'm going to post it anyway. A lot of pop songs sound really samey to me and I'm not sure why. A few months ago I was driving down US-29 in Virginia and I was tuned into a country station, but it didn't sound like country music to me, it sounded like pop music with banjos. Same language but with a different accent. I wonder if the music industry as a whole has sort of figured out a formula that sells, and translated it into every "genre."

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post

This might not really fit the topic for the thread but I'm going to post it anyway. A lot of pop songs sound really samey to me and I'm not sure why. A few months ago I was driving down US-29 in Virginia and I was tuned into a country station, but it didn't sound like country music to me, it sounded like pop music with banjos. Same language but with a different accent. I wonder if the music industry as a whole has sort of figured out a formula that sells, and translated it into every "genre."
        Yup. I've noticed this too.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I remember reading an article (that I can't find anymore) that basically postulated that there is basically becoming one genre: as all other genres borrow from each other, they start becoming more and more the same and the distinctions become smaller and smaller.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I can get on board with that, somewhat.

It does seem, at times, like it's getting to the point where the only distinctions are cultural... and purposefully so to appeal to the target demographic.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

lady who? and do tell... what has this lady googo done for the people of earth?

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                I've watched the entire series from start to finish... maybe three times.

I don't remember this scene.
                Try watching it when you're not stoned.

If I recall correctly, it's what gets AJ kicked out of school and (almost) sent to a military academy or something.
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by joncha View Post
                  Try watching it when you're not stoned.

If I recall correctly, it's what gets AJ kicked out of school and (almost) sent to a military academy or something.
                  The last time I watched it I was not stoned.

I think.

I remember that part of the story... just not the actual scene itself.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Also, why does pizza on tv always look so unappetizing?
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                      I don't like the electronic stuff that much myself.

yes. there is a formula for making a successful pop song, and most (like almost all) songs you hear on the radio will follow it, with some minor variations. broadly speaking you'll hear 2.5 to 4 minutes of: intro, verse, (pre-chorus), chorus, verse, (pre-chorus), chorus, bridge, (verse), chorus, (chorus), outro; the ones in brackets being optional.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by joncha View Post
                        Also, why does pizza on tv always look so unappetizing?
                        tv can be a bit gamey
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                          yes. there is a formula for making a successful pop song, and most (like almost all) songs you hear on the radio will follow it, with some minor variations. broadly speaking you'll hear 2.5 to 4 minutes of: intro, verse, (pre-chorus), chorus, verse, (pre-chorus), chorus, bridge, (verse), chorus, (chorus), outro; the ones in brackets being optional.
                          Pop music has been formulaic for well over 50 (more like 70) years. Why do you think songwriting mills exist? Why do you think the same producers have hits over and over with a wide range of artists?

In recent years, digital production and its inherent portability have enabled production of music without the musicians ever meeting. Upload a ProTools file to your buddy anywhere in the world so he can add his tracks. Not to mention sampling. So it's no surprise that there's been a major increase in the number of "strange bedfellows" pairings you hear. Punk polka? Got it. Country hip-hop? You betcha (check out Big Smo). Also, the fact that pro audio production can now be done by an individual who never leaves home encourages quirkiness, and the InterTubeWebs allow the world to check it out immediately.

There are also programs to analyze songs for their hit potential based on spectral usage, lyrical content, instrumentation, tempo, etc. I tend regard this as a way of letting non-musical people influence the process, but I suppose it has legitimate uses. I don't actually know any producers who use things like that for anything other than internal validation during mixdown and mastering.

Some talk about trends like this in terms of cultural inclusion (or imperialism), but it's mostly just people trying to make a living in a failing industry.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                          X