Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SERIOUSLY? DUMB ****ING ****ERS ARE NOW REFUSING THE MOTHER****ING VITAMIN K SHOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware of doctors bearing new treatments or telling you it's all down to stress...

Arnall Patz helped solve the riddle of how 10,000 babies went blind.

Dr. Patz, who died Thursday at age 89, was the Johns Hopkins ophthalmologist who in 1954 showed that treating premature babies with pure oxygen had the unexpected result of destroying eyesight in some. By the simple expedient of regulating oxygen levels inside incubators, the epidemic was quelled.

"Never in the history of ophthalmology has a blinding condition become so quickly widespread and equally rapidly been abolished," wrote Sir Stewart Duke-Elder, a Scottish ophthalmologist, in the 1970s.

A epidemic of retrolental fibroplasia (RLF) seemed to have grown up just as treatments for preemies had improved. By the time of Dr. Patz's investigations in the early 1950s, an estimated 10,000 children had been blinded in the U.S. and abroad, according to a history of the disease by William Silverman. Ophthalmologists were searching for a cause in the way preemies were treated—possible culprits included vitamins and hormones.

Doctors are bad for your health :

Would an ice pick driven through the eggshell thin bone above your eye into your brain cure your ‘maladies’, your ‘melancholy’, your ‘madness’? During the middle decades of the 20th century transorbital lobotomy, or ‘ice pick’ lobotomy, a radically invasive form of brain surgery, was used extensively for patients with psychiatric illnesses. It was a rapidly executed procedure, taking perhaps a few tens of minutes in total, requiring no more than a local anaesthetic, conducted for the purposes of ‘psychosurgery’.

This was the era before effective pharmacotherapies or psychotherapies for psychiatric illnesses; an era before there was an outline understanding of the psychological functions supported by the frontal lobes. We now know much about the frontal lobes: they support ‘executive functions’ within the brain such as planning, intending, imagining alternatives, initiating actions, directed remembering, and deferring gratification. In short, what makes us human.

In the unfortunate patient, the frontal lobes would be cut away from the rest of the brain by a simple and quick side-to-side motion, leaving the person with irreversible and enduring consequences. There were good intentions behind the procedure —curing the ‘incurable’ by radically intervening in the brain. However, transorbital lobotomy rendered many of its victims docile, mute and compliant. This therapeutic surgical strategy was a terrible but instructive failure of medical ethics, of patient treatment, and of neurological understanding of brain function and dysfunction. The legacy is what can go wrong. Medical ethics, safeguards and precautions have evolved so that similarly reckless experiments can never be conducted again.

That ulcer ? It's just stress...

The identification of Helicobacter pylori by Barry J. Marshall and J. Robert Warren in 1983 can not be, in any case, considered as serendipitous: without the endeavour, youthful curiosity, talent and ambition of the former and solid classical knowledge in pathology of the latter, peptic ulcer might be considered even today as an acid-related or psychosomatic disease, as it was during the past century.
    The discovery of Helicobacter pylori is one of the greatest achievements in the modern history of gastroenterology, which led to fundamental changes in our approach to the pathogenesis and treatment of peptic ulcer disease. However, the road towards accepting the role of these spiral bacteria in the …
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

The hell is the point of your post?
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        FOR ****ING ****'S SAKE, WHAT THE HIGH HOLY MOTHER**** IS WRONG WITH ****ING PEOPLE. VITAMIN K. VITAMIN MOTHER****ING K. ****ING VITAMIN ****ING K SAVES ****ING LIVES EVERY ****ING DAY, AND STUPID ****ING JENNY MCCARTHYITES ARE REFUSING MOTHER****ING VITMAIN K SHOTS.

THAT'S IT. I'M ****ING DONE. THE NEXT PERSON IN MY OFFICE WHO REFUSES STANDARD ****ING CARE IN THE FACE OF ALL MY PLEASANT ADVICE AND EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY WILL EARN THEMSELVES ONE FREE PUNCH TO THE ****ING THROAT.
        Hmmmmm............... Interesting. I've never seen any notes of Vitamin K being adminisitered routinely at birth on the records any of the newborns I've received into my practice. I have noticed that the overwhelming majority of the newborns I've seen have at least moderate hyperbilirubinemia at some point after birth.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

i've been trying to figure out what Molly's point is for years. i can only surmise that he's engaging in the online equivalent of savoring the smell of his own farts.

also, guy, what would be the potential side effects/health risks if i went to taking 20mg of claritin instead of 10mg? my allergies are killing me.
          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

That. Tee hee.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
              i've been trying to figure out what Molly's point is for years. i can only surmise that he's engaging in the online equivalent of savoring the smell of his own farts.
              That's sweet, but your surmise is like you, a load of useless ****e.
              Last edited by self biased; August 3, 2014, 21:44. Reason: closing italics tags

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                That's sweet, but your surmise is like you, a load of useless ****e.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                  Doctors are bad for your health :
                  Would an ice pick driven through the eggshell thin bone above your eye into your brain cure your ‘maladies’, your ‘melancholy’, your ‘madness’? During the middle decades of the 20th century transorbital lobotomy, or ‘ice pick’ lobotomy, a radically invasive form of brain surgery, was used extensively for patients with psychiatric illnesses. It was a rapidly executed procedure, taking perhaps a few tens of minutes in total, requiring no more than a local anaesthetic, conducted for the purposes of ‘psychosurgery’.

This was the era before effective pharmacotherapies or psychotherapies for psychiatric illnesses; an era before there was an outline understanding of the psychological functions supported by the frontal lobes. We now know much about the frontal lobes: they support ‘executive functions’ within the brain such as planning, intending, imagining alternatives, initiating actions, directed remembering, and deferring gratification. In short, what makes us human.

In the unfortunate patient, the frontal lobes would be cut away from the rest of the brain by a simple and quick side-to-side motion, leaving the person with irreversible and enduring consequences. There were good intentions behind the procedure —curing the ‘incurable’ by radically intervening in the brain. However, transorbital lobotomy rendered many of its victims docile, mute and compliant. This therapeutic surgical strategy was a terrible but instructive failure of medical ethics, of patient treatment, and of neurological understanding of brain function and dysfunction. The legacy is what can go wrong. Medical ethics, safeguards and precautions have evolved so that similarly reckless experiments can never be conducted again.
                  https://dublin.sciencegallery.com/fa...cepicklobotomy
                  Over the years two Nobel Prizes in Medicine were awarded for the Frontal Lobotomy, one for the first procedure, the second for an office based procedure that could by carried out quickly in the comfort and security of a neuropsychiatrist's office. The fatality rate was comparable to the procedure carried out under general anesthesia in a surgical suite, only 45% vs 30%!
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

also, guy, what would be the potential side effects/health risks if i went to taking 20mg of claritin instead of 10mg? my allergies are killing me.
                    Not much, but it probably wouldn't help much more either. Some people take 10mg twice a day with some improvement, but I'd recommend adding a second type of allergy medication instead, in particular a nasal steroid spray. They are very very effective, and quite safe. I use both a nasal steroid and zyrtec. Nasacort recently went over-the-counter; the only downside is that, because it just went OTC, it is probably more expensive than getting a prescription for Flonase or Nasonex.

Comment

For reasons surpassing my understanding, I can not thank this post, which I consider Poly's greatest failing apart from banning Ben for life.

Comment

Not much, but it probably wouldn't help much more either. Some people take 10mg twice a day with some improvement, but I'd recommend adding a second type of allergy medication instead, in particular a nasal steroid spray. They are very very effective, and quite safe. I use both a nasal steroid and zyrtec. Nasacort recently went over-the-counter; the only downside is that, because it just went OTC, it is probably more expensive than getting a prescription for Flonase or Nasonex.
                        i actually get heaps of bronchial irritation and itchiness, and a dry, unproductive cough. it's super annoying more than anything else. will the nasal steroid spray help with that?

Comment

i started sniffing my own farts twice a day and it's helped me
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Ehhh, maybe a little. It'll help a lot with postnasal drainage, which is undoubtedly a factor in your bronchial irritation. Singulair is another option (you can even do all three at once), which may work better for you, but it is only available via prescription.

Comment

"Look at me, I read books!"

I think he believes it makes him unique.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Ehhh, maybe a little. It'll help a lot with postnasal drainage, which is undoubtedly a factor in your bronchial irritation. Singulair is another option (you can even do all three at once), which may work better for you, but it is only available via prescription.
                                it doesn't feel like post-nasal drip though. i'm due for a physical soon. i'll talk with my PCP about it

Comment

Working...
                                X