Ernst Junger: Storm of Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernst Junger: Storm of Steel

I picked up a cheap copy of Storm of Steel. This was one of the first WWI memoirs, and still one of the best.

Ernst Junger had a very interesting and productive life, courted and then renounced by left and right, the youngest person to ever receive Germany's highest military decoration, Pour Le Merite (Rommel had one from WW1), and the last person alive with one until his death in 1998. He became a renowned entomologist as well as a writer.

He refused to join the Nazis and resigned from his unit's veterans association when Jews were expelled. Refused to undergo denazification after WWII, spent most of the war in Paris.

But also a bit of a crank - experimented with LSD in the sixties! He lived to be 102!

All in all, a remarkable life, well lived don't you think?
    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; July 16, 2014, 04:01.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Might have to pick that up.

Comment

Junger's helmet after one of his seven woundings during the war.

Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

I thought this was going to be about the new head of the EU.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Ernst far more interesting

Comment

Working...
          X