No announcement yet.

Why is the world right side up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because they fall toward where your feet are. The image is set so that you right hand appears to the right, and your left hand to the left, because to do otherwise and require you to make the adjustment consciously would take way too many processing cycles.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Let me be more explicit. You are thinking about vision without context. Our senses are coordinated together. Gravity imposes a directionality on our sense of feeling. There is an advantage to having our sense of vision align with our sense of feeling. This also holds for left and right. Hearing also imparts a sense of direction and there is an advantage in having that align with our other senses as well.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
        Let me be more explicit. You are thinking about vision without context. Our senses are coordinated together. Gravity imposes a directionality on our sense of feeling. There is an advantage to having our sense of vision align with our sense of feeling. This also holds for left and right. Hearing also imparts a sense of direction and there is an advantage in having that align with our other senses as well.
        This is one of the two plausible answers I came across. We have other senses that detect direction.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          This is one of the two plausible answers I came across. We have other senses that detect direction.
          And that wasn't enough to convince you?
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

The link I provided said as much. You should have read it.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
              And he didn't.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                And that wasn't enough to convince you?
                Partially convinced.

I did. It doesn't.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I did. It doesn't.
                  Fail.

Perceptual adaptation is a theory that proposes the notion that our brain and senses collaborate.
                  I mean, it's in the conclusion. It has five sentences.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Partially convinced.
                    To elaborate, I'm only partially convinced by this answer because I'm not sure it proves anything more than that the senses need to be aligned, not that any particular alignment is better than any other.

The other possibility I ran across is this: we have two retinas that register two somewhat overlapping, inverted images. The nature of the inversion means that the two images don't actually correspond to one another when put together, so the brain has to flip the images back for them to make sense. A picture might help.

A pentagon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pentagon.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	9101057

The left and right sides of the pentagon individually inverted:

Click image for larger version

Name:	inverted.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	9101058

I mean, it's in the conclusion. It has five sentences.
                    That our brain and senses collaborate is a no-brainer. What's at issue here is that the senses collaborate with each other, which the article doesn't spend any time talking about. It's focused solely on vision.

Comment

The wiki entry has more than enough info and keywords for you to do your own research.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I have done my own research. I'm here for discussion.

Comment

Apparently not.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Unfortunately, that article doesn't explain why right side up is what our brain considers normal, and that's what I'm asking.
                            the definition of 'right side up' is based on our perceptions.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Why do you care?

Comment

Originally posted by AAAAAAAAH! View Post
                                Why do you care?
                                If this is directed at me, because I'm very interested in the way that the brain constructs reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X