the revenge of Y2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the revenge of Y2K

A year 2000-related bug has caused the US military to send more than 14,000 letters of conscription to men who were all born in the 1800s and died decades ago.

Shocked residents of Pennsylvania began receiving letters ordering their great grandparents to register for the US military draft by pain of “fine and imprisonment.”

"I said, 'Geez, what the hell is this about?’” Chuck Huey, 73, of Kingston, Pennsylvania told the Associated Press when he received a letter for his late grandfather Bert Huey, born in 1894 and a first world war veteran who died at the age of 100 in 1995.

“It said he was subject to heavy fines and imprisonment if he didn't sign up for the draft board,” exclaimed Huey. "We were just totally dumbfounded.”
    Y2K-like bug

The US Selective Service System, which sent the letters in error, automatically handles the drafting of US citizens and other US residents that are applicable for conscription. The cause of the error was narrowed down to a Y2K-like bug in the Pennsylvania department of transportation (PDT).

A clerk at the PDT failed to select a century during the transfer of 400,000 records to the Selective Service, producing 1990s records for men born a century earlier.

"We made a mistake, a quite serious selection error," Jan McKnight from Pennsylvania digital services PennDOT.

The Selective Service identified 27,218 records of men born in the 1800s made errantly applicable by the change of century and began sending out notices to them on 30 June.

The federal agency began receiving calls from worried relatives on 3 July, explaining that the men were dead, but by that time it had already sent 14,250 notices in error.

The youngest of the men would have been 117 this year. Families who received the notices can safely ignore them, said Pat Schuback from the Selective Service.

“Selective Service regrets any inconvenience caused the families of these men and assures them that the error has been corrected and no action is required on their part,” the Selective Service said in an apology on its website.
    A data input error at Pennsylvania transport department leads to letters being posted out to thousands of men born in the 1800s. By Samuel Gibbs
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Hilarious. Your tax dollars at work.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

You still have a draft?
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

At 18, every man has to sign up for the draft. But the draft hasn't actually been in effect since the Vietnam War.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You don't sign up for the draft, you just register your name with the selective service so they know you exist.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Yes, but I'm not sure the term "selective service" means anything to anyone outside the US.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I was worried rah would get called up but it looks like he's safe. Too old.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Comment

Amusingly, when I signed up for ROTC I had to verify I was in the selective service system. I also had to do that when I was employed by the Fed, otherwise they wouldn't hire me.

It exists so that we can implement a draft rapidly if need be.

Comment

Are girls still barred from registering?
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Last I heard. All men must register though and if you don't you can't get any student aid money. So the draft isn't in effect but they keep the records just in case they change their minds.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Women don't have to register with the selective service. I don't think they can do it even if they want to either, not that they would.

Comment

Women who were born men but had a sex change still have to register. But men who were born women don't.

Comment

Cisgendered don't seem to be explicitly addressed by the SS policies? What about furries? Wolves who were born men and wear costumes, but aren't currently institutionalized?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                              Cisgendered don't seem to be explicitly addressed by the SS policies? What about furries? Wolves who were born men and wear costumes, but aren't currently institutionalized?
                              They are shot to protect the livestock.
                              Graffiti in a public toilet
                              Do not require skill or wit
                              Among the **** we all are poets
                              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X