Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

58% of UK teens think Sherlock Holmes was real. 20% say Churchill was fake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dingaling for my dingaling
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

English want to be like Americans and it looks like they are succeeding with new generations.
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I wonder what percentage of Croatian teens think Ustaše was a pop group.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Not yet, give it another 50 years.
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
            English want to be like Americans and it looks like they are succeeding with new generations.
            No, we really don't.

Comment

Three of the last four PM's would disagree...

You have broken down the unions, reduced housing benefits greatly, made universities payable by the students, privatized "everything", ie gas, water, utilities, railways - to questionable success... even going in the direction to privatize NHS. Going to ludicrous wars, all in all - 51st state - I guess it is rubbing off on the quality of primary education as well.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                Three of the last four PM's would disagree...

You have broken down the unions, reduced housing benefits greatly, made universities payable by the students, privatized "everything", ie gas, water, utilities, railways - to questionable success... even going in the direction to privatize NHS. Going to ludicrous wars, all in all - 51st state - I guess it is rubbing off on the quality of primary education as well.
                Unions were broken down because they needed to be broken down. There's a still a significant union presence and hopefully will continue to be. They just can't plunge the country into depression if their political goals aren't met these days.

As for housing benefit, it was previously far too generous in some cases, so I'm not going to lose any sleep about that. The way it was carried out was clumsy and poorly handled in many cases, but I'm yet to hear a good explanation for why the state should be paying for multi-bedroom houses for people who don't need them. I'm all for ensuring that everyone has housing, but when the taxpayer is covering your rent you can't expect that to be a top drawer property. A vast number of people renting don't get the luxury of an ideal home either.

Fully with you on much of the privatization and at least one of the wars however.

Comment

The UK's education started going down the toilet with the introduction of GCSEs and increased rapidly under Labour with their hard on for dumbing down all the exams so much that everyone gets As just for spelling their name right...

My favourite dumb British kids thing is that not only do they not know who Winston Churchill is - but that they think he's black!
                  Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                    My favourite dumb British kids thing is that not only do they not know who Winston Churchill is - but that they think he's black!
                    Awesome! I just googled and there's a great Yahoo Question page about it.

Originally posted by Yahoo Question
                    Was Winston Churchill black?

Originally posted by Favourite Answer
                    no

Comment

<p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                          They just can't plunge the country into depression if their political goals aren't met these days.

And when exactly in history did they and they alone do that ? I think I missed that in the rewritten Thatcherite history of the world.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                            And when exactly in history did they and they alone do that ? I think I missed that in the rewritten Thatcherite history of the world.
                            Oh, you skipped the seventies then?

Comment

The 70s with the oil crisis ? That one ?

Or did you have another one in mind ?

Also the 70s with a property boom bust cycle under the Tories. How terribly innovative! Didn't we have those in the 80s and 90s too ?

That's Tory love of tradition for you.

Unlike Sister Bendy, I have read a few history books.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

That particular Labour government despite their many failings, weren't able to ride the crest of the black wave of North Sea oil like Thatcher's government...

In hindsight, it's obvious how badly Thatcherism squandered the wealth of our country when we have nothing to show for the billions earned in oil and gas; the privatisations and the mass sell-off of council houses!

The Thatcher years amounted to more than a decade of raiding the country's resources, natural and otherwise, to cynically line the pockets of the already rich and powerful at the expense of the general public! Anyone who can't see that is/was either part of that systematic theft - or a total fool...

X-Post!

Comment

Working...
                                X