Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you drive a stickshift (manual transmission)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you drive a stickshift (manual transmission)?

SEATTLE - Three teens who tried to steal a Seattle woman's car Saturday afternoon may have learned a valuable lesson about driving: Learn how to drive a stick shift, police said.

Nancy Fredrickson said she spent most of Saturday on the water. When she got home after picking up a sleeping bag at a garage sale, she decided to take it out of her trunk.

"Slammed it down and that's when I turned around," Fredrickson said.

Three teenage boys were staring at her, she said. One of them had a gun pointed at her face.

"He goes 'I want your keys' and I thought it was a joke!" Fredrickson exclaimed.

Fredrickson said she quickly realized the teen pointing the gun at her face meant what he said.

"He says 'I want your keys!' I says 'There right here on the ground.' I had thrown them down like that," Fredrickson said while pointing to the pavement.

Fredrickson said her body froze as the three suspects got into her car thinking their getaway was within reach. There was just one problem.

"I got a 5-speed in there, and they couldn't figure out how to get it going," Fredrickson said.

Surveillance cameras at a nearby business captured the suspects running away through a nearby parking lot, police said. Officers never found them.

What the suspects didn't realize was Fredrickson is a black belt. She's studied martial arts for 25 years and used great discipline by simply standing in place during the attempted robbery, she said.

"You learn that if someone is trying, the best thing you can do is be still. And it's not easy for me to be still at times, but in that situation yes," Fredrickson said.

In the end, Fredrickson got the last laugh knowing she made the right decision 9 years ago to buy a manual transmission.

"I said I gotta have my car keys," Fredrickson said. "And I looked in and they had left them in the ignition."

Seattle police don't have clear descriptions of the three teenage suspects, they said. If you have any information about the case, call the Seattle Police Department.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Never tried in practice, but I understand the theory.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I would not let her touch my stick.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

99% of cars here are manuals.

Comment

I have a friend who bought a manual without knowing how to drive it.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The only ones who get automatic transmission around here are those who have problems with their backs.
            Otherwise, manual transmission gives great acceleration

Comment

Manual all the way.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Nope.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I drive a stick just to lessen the chances of my vehicle being stolen. To further lessen the chances, I drive a rusted out heap

Comment

I learned to drive on a stick, but haven't driven one in about thirteen years
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Haven't driven one in years but was a car hop when I was younger so had a lot of experience with them.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                        99% of cars here are manuals.
                        Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                        The only ones who get automatic transmission around here are those who have problems with their backs.
                        Otherwise, manual transmission gives great acceleration
                        Do Europeans also start their cars with hand cranks?
                        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	LaFerrari_F150.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	9100971
                            nope

Comment

Only losers can't.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X