No announcement yet.

Apolyton Wiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a big problem with spam the first couple days. I enabled some spam protection and it hasn't been a problem since. I'd rather not stop people from doing good work if they want to do a lot at once, but if it becomes a problem we can put something like that in place.
    Ok, I'm planning on creating as many pages as I can over the next few days. Always wanted to do something like this, I rewrote my own custom civpedia back in the day. Also, there's a lot of bad (and misleading information out there), and I cannot find a good guide on civfanatics for the civ2 stuff, surprisingly.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

it pains me to do this

BK
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Some basic guidelines for the Wiki:

Since Lorizael and I didn't like the default way that MediaWiki handles categorization of pages, we'll be doing something like this:

Civ2
        - Civ2:Units
        -- Civ2:Units:Warriors
        - Civ2:Wonders

Civ2:Units:Warriors would be the actual page name for Warriors in Civ2. Category:Civ2:Units would be a sub-category of Category:Civ2. For now this looks bad in the category pages (everything listed under "C", rather than "W" for Warriors ... but I'll be modifying those pages to work the way we want.
        Last edited by Aeson; June 24, 2014, 21:38.

Comment

I'm just making temp stuff so I can make the pages. Sounds good to me, Aeson.

Do you want to have subcats of 'modern', 'medieval', etc?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Yah, it's good to have different ways to categorize.

Category:Civ2:Units:Air
            Category:Civ2:Units:Ancient

A Warrior could then end up being in :Ground, :Ancient, :Melee ...

We can have a Mod section for each game as well. The Civ2:Units would be the base game units. Civ2:Mods:ModX:Units would be for a ModX's units. A base game Warrior (Civ2:Units:Warrior) might be referenced by ModX if it's included in that mod, but a Civ2:ModX:ModWarrior wouldn't be referenced by Civ2:Units ... since that's reserved for the base game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
              it pains me to do this

BK
              Ban Sava! :wiglaf:
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I've moved the Civ2 Wonders as an example.

This way we can have Civ2:Wonders:Oracle and not worry about ambiguity with Civ3:Wonders:Oracle ... etc.

Comment

The base Oracle page could reference all the CivX:Wonders:Oracle pages. Though it would be easier to just put all the CivX:Wonders:Oracle pages in Category:Oracle and let the category script generate those references automatically.

Comment

There's no reason it can't reference the later versions in other games. I just wrote the description for the Civ2 version...

Also, the title should be Pyramids (Civ2). Use categorization to do what you're trying to do with the name. Civ2:Wonders.
                    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; June 24, 2014, 23:08.

Comment

ORACLE: main page

describes the oracle throughout the games.

Civ 2 Oracle specific to civ 2
                      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I never really liked the Oracle all that much. It's my least favorite ancient wonder. Though, it's at least gotten more useful.

I forget what it was before. Nothing exciting.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          There's no reason it can't reference the later versions in other games. I just wrote the description for the Civ2 version...
                          Yah, it can. In this case the page is linked from the main Civ2 page ... so the link would be best to be to the specific Civ2:Oracle page. If a reference was made to the Oracle in general as a wonder that has appeared int he Civilization series, then to the Oracle page would be the one to use.

Comment

Name should be Oracle (Civ2), if you're going to redirect it, then all the links will be piped. [[Oracle||Oracle(Civ2)]], so that it appears as Oracle, but it links to the correct version of the Oracle.

Comment

I've been doing it Civ2:Wonders:Oracle rather than Oracle (Civ2) ... I find it easier to type using : rather than _() (+1 character vs +3) and having category specificity increasing from left to right fits URL structure better IMO.

So a link to the page specifically about the Civ 2 Oracle would be [[Civ2:Wonders:Oracle|Oracle]], the URL being http://apolyton.net/wiki/index.php/Civ2:Wonders:Oracle (I will be removing the /index.php portion later when everyone's asleep ... made a mistake when setting up the wiki in /wiki, which apparently messes up the URL rewriting when removing /index.php).

This way it's very clear that the page is about the Oracle Wonder in Civ 2. This subcategory in the URL gets important in cases where there's ambiguity between things in the game, such as the tech Railroad and the Railroad tile improvement. http://apolyton.net/wiki/index.php/C...ments:Railroad is easily distinguished from http://apolyton.net/wiki/index.php/Civ2:Techs:Railroad in the URL.

I will be modifying the category pages so that they will parse the page name properly. For instance, Civ2:Wonders:Oracle in Category:Civ2 would have the Oracle in a subheading under Wonders, with all the other Wonders. For this to work right though, the URLs will need to be standardized and include any subcategorization.

(I don't like the default way that categories and subcategories work in MediaWiki. Too many cases of ambiguity.)

Comment

I wonder why DanQ never thought of this?

Also I'm surPrised that CFC doesn't have a wiki.
                                Order of the Fly
                                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                                X