Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real-time lightning strike detection website

this is cool

I'm trying to read through the site now. I wonder how some of the stations can still detect lightning even though the strikes are thousands of miles away.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

any examples of it striking twice?
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

from the site? no

but here:

Since lightning bolts seek the highest objects around, skyscrapers are frequent targets. While Sears Tower does not keep statistics on lightning strikes, New York's Empire State Building records about 25 strikes annually. Since Chicago averages 38 thunderstorm days a year compared to New York's 19, it seems reasonable that about 50 strikes a year would be a good estimate for Sears Tower.

Despite being a large lightning target, Sears Tower has never been damaged by lightning. A lightning deterrent system shields the building from damage by strengthening a protective veil of charges--"a corona"--around the building's superstructure. Even when struck, the building is designed to transfer the electrical charge harmlessly into the ground.

That's from Tom Skilling. Brother of infamous Enron crook Jeff Skilling.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

This is really ****ing cool. Thanks sava
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
          X