Pope excommunicates the Mafia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope excommunicates the Mafia

Brave fellow, excommunicating the Mafia. Hopefully he won't meet an accident.

Pope launches strongest papal attack on organised crime since Pope John Paul in 1993 in impromptu comments about southern Italy's 'Ndrangheta crime group

Mafia 'adore evil' and are 'excommunicated', says Pope Francis

Pope launches strongest papal attack on organised crime since Pope John Paul in 1993 in impromptu comments about southern Italy's 'Ndrangheta crime group

Pope Francis delivers his homily, as he celebrates mass in Sibari, in the southern Italian region of Calabria at the end of his one-day visit to the city Photo: Vincenzo Pinto/ Getty

By Reuters

4:56PM BST 21 Jun 2014

Pope Francishas taken on one of Italy’s most dangerous organised crime groups, calling the 'Ndrangheta crime group an example of “the adoration of evil” and saying Mafiosi “are excommunicated”.

The pope, speaking during a mass in the southern Italy, issued the strongest attacks on organised crime since the late Pope John Paul lambasted the Sicilian Mafia in 1993.

“Those who in their lives follow this path of evil, as mafiosi do, are not in communion with God. They are excommunicated,” Pope Francis said in impromptu comments at a mass before tens of thousands of people.

He told the crowd: “This evil must be fought against, it must be pushed aside. We must say no to it.”

He branded the 'Ndrangheta as the “adoration of evil and contempt of the common good” and said the Church would exert its full force in efforts to combat organised crime.

Related Articles

“Our children are asking for it, our young people are asking for it. They are in need of hope and faith can help respond to this need,” he said.

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

So the people who produce and push drugs, engage in kidnapping, torture and murder, extortion, robbery and political corruption will be quite upset about this.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Hopefully, he'll get around to excommunicating all the child rapists.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
        So the people who produce and push drugs, engage in kidnapping, torture and murder, extortion, robbery and political corruption will be quite upset about this.
        You're right, the Bishops won't even blink and eye.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Did Ben take the weekend off? I figured this thread would be 200+ posts by now.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It's not about gays or children, the two things Ben is only interested in.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Then, let's all agree to never make a thread about gay children.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Or we do and we trap him in there...
                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                  It's not about gays or children, the two things Ben is only interested in.
                  So many thankworthy posts, so little thanks.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Did Ben take the weekend off? I figured this thread would be 200+ posts by now.
                    Why would I stop people from exhibiting their prejudice towards the Catholic church? Your posts are far more devastating than mine ever could be.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                      Why would I stop people from exhibiting their prejudice towards the Catholic church? Your posts are far more devastating than mine ever could be.
                      Not a single person here is prejudice against Catholics.

We hate child rapists and their apologists/defenders.

Are you saying all Catholics are child rapists?

Your association with Catholics is more offensive to Catholicism than anything else.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Not a single person here is prejudice against Catholics.
                        Nikolai, (who isn't even Catholic!), has yet to receive an on topic post that doesn't exude hatred towards Catholicism. It speaks volumes as to the depth of prejudice here on Apolyton.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yes, you post here.
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            Nikolai, (who isn't even Catholic!), has yet to receive an on topic post that doesn't exude hatred towards Catholicism. It speaks volumes as to the depth of prejudice here on Apolyton.
                            No, it speaks volumes as to the evil that exists within the church.

Moron.

If you applied even half of your bull**** victim mentality on rooting out such evil, maybe people wouldn't hate on your institution so much.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

And Ben's continual failure to recognize any of it. Or saying it doesn't exist anymore because they've fixed it.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X