Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla does something great for both itself and the electric car movement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never ascribe to conspiracy what can be more aptly ascribed to inertia.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Or better yet - corporate culture.
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
        Perhaps Tesla knows that a superior competitive technology is just around the corner...

With salt water as a part of its flow cell battery, this car has a top speed of over 200 mph and has now been approved for public road use in Europe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]176751[/ATTACH]

http://www.nanoflowcell.com/#company
        Nice, a 1800's Hoffman apparatus (voltameter) re-engineered with battery cell technology.

I should have devoted more time to looking into re-engineerng the Hoffman apparatus in my youth. I've always thought that there is a potential gold mine there.
        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Interesting solution, but this is really the battery - not sure why they need to include the whole car with the battery, and the likely answer is cost.

Noone mentioned how much does it cost to refuel the flow cell, which is likely the weak point of the system, assuming it works as advertised.

The company also claims its flow cells can go through 10,000 charging cycles with no noticeable memory effect and suffer almost no self-discharging.

The first QUANT e-Sportlimousine prototype carries two 200-liter (53 gallons US) tanks on board, for a total energy capacity of 120 kWh. The QUANT e-Sportlimousine energy consumption is about 20 kWh/100 km, when driving in the lower load range. Increasing the tank volume of the QUANT e-Sportlimousine to 800 liters would be possible, the company says.

Once the electrolytic fluids are discharged, the contents of both tanks must to be replaced.
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I know someone who leases a Volt. It actually looks quite good, I think.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm sure electric cars will be the dominant technology say, 10-15 years from now. But battery technology has to get better.

Comment

Not necessarily - if you can do 300 miles with 30 min recharge time - drive for 4-5 hours, rest 30 min. Definitely feasible - we only need the infrastructure.

Comment

But you can't do 300 miles on one charge yet.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

when I can plug it in like my golf cart... i'll buy one... at least 150 mile range. i'll still keep my gas car for trips. but still... not no $36,000 or even more.... crazy. car is not worth duke in 5 years. I dunno... I can always repair my car now... maybe I will not buy one.

Comment

Right now I can drive 300 miles and rest for 5-10 min. That makes a big difference when I'm driving across several states--something I do several times a year. In particular because when I do those drives, I do it with a friend and we switch off.

Comment

Not necessarily - if you can do 300 miles with 30 min recharge time - drive for 4-5 hours, rest 30 min. Definitely feasible - we only need the infrastructure.
                        300 miles in less than ideal weather? Ain't gonna happen. Hybrids really are the wave of the future. Electrical solo is just going to be a curious novelty. Future archaelogists will uncover a Tesla and not understand the purpose.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          I know someone who leases a Volt. It actually looks quite good, I think.
                          If you mean, "It actually looks like any other car, only blander," I agree.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            But you can't do 300 miles on one charge yet.
                            In European testing Model S is rated for 500km, which is 310 miles... US testing may be different, but it looks like you can do about 300 miles on one charge. Even if it is 250, it is in the ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                              Right now I can drive 300 miles and rest for 5-10 min. That makes a big difference when I'm driving across several states--something I do several times a year. In particular because when I do those drives, I do it with a friend and we switch off.
                              Sure it would be inconvenient for a % of population, but likely 90%+ either does not make regular 300m+ trips in one go or when they do would be fine with having to wait for 30 min as it is not a major obstacle.

The real issues are price - the only car that can do it costs 80k$ and the infrastructure which is just not in place. I hope both of those will change for the better over the next decade.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                                Sure it would be inconvenient for a % of population, but likely 90%+ either does not make regular 300m+ trips in one go or when they do would be fine with having to wait for 30 min as it is not a major obstacle.
                                Sorry. reg has spoken. A few times per year, he drives more than 300 miles. Therefore, electric cars should be banned for everyone.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X