Screenshots and Screencasts of SMAX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenshots and Screencasts of SMAX?

I just started up my first game of SMAX and have run into some issues. I use MWSnap for screenshots but they are all coming out mostly blank. Fraps won't work either.

I've done the Direct Draw = 0 in the ini. I did get AC to run in a borderless window with the "start second instance" trick.

Are there any screenshot (with autosaving) and screencast software that works well with AC?

Okay, I'm pretty much the screenshot troubleshooting guy in the community. What you need to do is boot a graphics program -as little as MSPaint should work unless you have strange color settings on your machine, which we can troubleshoot if so, but that's a rare problem- before booting AC. Hit Prt Scr as normal during the game. Use the windows key to tab out and bring up your graphics program. Paste. It'll look like garbage, but should be right when you close the game later. I like to use GIMP for this, not least because it opens a new window each time and I don't have to bother with saving until I'm done for the session.

I look forward to reading the AAR. Good content for AC here.

Please let me know how the screenies work out, and do ask any further questions you have about them.
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

I wanted to avoid printscreen/paste because it's very micro-intensive. What has been working for me (Windows 7) has been:

- Direct Draw = 0 in the ini
      - start SMAX
      - let the movie finish. (I'll disable the movie soon, it's still nice to watch once in a while.)
      - ctrl-alt-del to get back to desktop
      - start SMAX again. (so a second instance, leave the first running)
      - close the second instance.

Now that will put have SMAX running in the desktop in a borderless window.

I can then move the start menu to the right side of the screen so it doesn't overlap on the SMAX window. Then I can use MWSnap's shortcut keys to single click take/save a screenshot. The only place this doesn't work that I've found is with the achievements screen since I use ctrl-shif-l for "repeat last capture". In that case I have to click outside SMAX first to remove focus, then can take the screenshot normally.

Comment

FRAPS still isn't working though, I'll have to find a different screencast software I guess.

Comment

It sounds like you're on the right track.
          AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
          JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
          X