Avatar Sizes increased to 180x180

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
    Ten at a time is bad interface design, BTW. Is there a display setting that you can change?
    Yah, each avatar category can have it's own setting for how many to display at a time. I'd think 50 or so would be fine. I think this is one of those relics of 1999 when bandwidth wasn't what it is today.

Comment

Good, and I think so too. I notice that kind of outdated 90's thing in a lot of forum customs.
      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

I am in favor of the larger sizes, but too lazy to take advantage of them.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

BacK in the day I would have Been haPPy aBout this... But now...?

meh.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

We are a bunch of boring old farts, sot in our ways, when even AAZH is against a change.

No pasarán

Comment

Some of the CivII ones are blown up to make 80x, and don't look so great - but for the sake of them II-heads as want CivII avatars, I might include them anyway. All of them are CivII graphics to begin with.

I don't remember much about making any of these, but the CivV ones are mostly round, and I went to a lot of trouble with the ones having bits sticking out of the disk.

Throwing in one of my SMACX .zips for good measure.

If I had art from 5 posted to work with, I could do some 100x, especially if square quickies were acceptable. For SMACX and CivII, I could supply my own art -I have those- but bad idea for II; more blowing up to size and looking bad, mostly.

Danger, Will Robinson - only one of the four I tried to upload uploaded - two are too big, and the ciV one won't give a reason. I'll see what I can do, but I thought this would be only the trouble of finding when I offered... :frustrated:
              Attached Files

No pasarán

Comment

Thanks BU

I'll look into the upload limits too.

Comment

I think this will cover CivII, along with the previous upload. Here's 165 of 201 avatars, anyway...

BTW, unlike with image uploads, it refuses to default to the previous location on my machine, either for .zips or from the Manage Attachments pop-up, one. There went a couple extra minutes of my life...
                  Attached Files

No pasarán

Comment

IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE AVATAR, IT'S HOW YOU USE IT!!!!!!!!

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Test...

Erm...?
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I have long thought that the minimum space required for the left-column quasi-bio stuff, plus the 3 lines of signature, meant the minimum physical size of the typical post is just WAY too large. Add to that a massive increase in avatar size and it's even worse.

Quick anecdote:

My wife oftern walks up to me to chat while I browse the forums in plain view. Rarely a word. Then last week...
                        At 180x180, she spotted Sava's avatar from across the room and said, "Who's is that? He really needs to be smacked around. What a pig."
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I will be implementing a user setting to set a max size on avatars. It will take some time though. If you need that in the meantime, already the mobile theme of the site has rather small avatars. (But a lot less features )

I do agree that the min-height of posts is already too large. Some of the info isn't terribly useful, or could be represented better. Maybe a small clock icon that when hovered over shows the local time for the user. Another icon with and a thanks count with "in posts" either a second number or shown on hover.

Also the User info box shouldn't have to allow for sig height.

Lots of work to do on the display.

Comment

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Ok. So 1 issue dealt with. Sig height will no longer affect the height of the user info panel. So short posts won't be unnecessarily tall anymore. (I will get the images at the bottom of posts overlapping with sigs fixed soon
                              Last edited by Aeson; May 24, 2014, 04:09.

Comment

Working...
                              X