Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a family site or should it be considered an adult site?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by self biased View Post
    i think you've adequately made your point, Lancer. I'm sure Aeson will take your concern into consideration. i really don't see what pressing the issue further is going to accomplish, so maybe have a cocktail and play some civ, in the mean time?
    How can you use that word, my kids could see it!!!!

Seriously, this is a silly topic. Don't like it don't read it.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Maybe all parents are not alike Tuber? Just a thought.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

my son is six. he likes the lego website, Nick.com, and Disney.com. i am always in the room when he's at the computer. as he gets older and seeks more autonomy online, i plan on having some conversations with him to instill good online etiquette with him. I made some very poor decisions as a young person back when the internet was a new thing, and hopefully i can teach my son how to be a responsible member of any community, let alone an online one. if he wanted to post here at apolyton when he was thirteen years old, i would encourage him to do so, despite some of the workarounds of the autocensor. at its worst, the Mos Eisley OT isn't really any worse than a junior high school locker room.
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

My unsolicited opinion: this is a forum dedicated to a game that includes (and some might say encourages the use of), among other things, war, slavery, and nuclear weapons. Some sex talk seems small potatoes in comparison.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
            my son is six. he likes the lego website, Nick.com, and Disney.com. i am always in the room when he's at the computer. as he gets older and seeks more autonomy online, i plan on having some conversations with him to instill good online etiquette with him. I made some very poor decisions as a young person back when the internet was a new thing, and hopefully i can teach my son how to be a responsible member of any community, let alone an online one. if he wanted to post here at apolyton when he was thirteen years old, i would encourage him to do so, despite some of the workarounds of the autocensor. at its worst, the Mos Eisley OT isn't really any worse than a junior high school locker room.
            Yes, what about the autocensor? Could it be used to censor the words that cannot be mentioned in the forum that cannot be linked? Is there some way that the new admin who cannot be discussed can recoup the income from the forum which cannot be mentioned? Does anyone think the posters there who are literally beyond reproach might be moved to permit the admin to reset the autocensor, or the past owner convinced to allow the new owner to use the site as if it was, you know, his?

Stay tuned for the next installment of... WTF! Whoops

Comment

what you've stated amounts to a lot of "what ifs" in my eyes. it's not a website's owner's job to ensure that my son isn't going to be bombarded with horrors. it's my job as a parent to monitor what he's doing online.
              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Ignoring a lot of undiplomatic talk and addressing the idea, not the poster, as we're supposed to in here - as I said to Tuber today in the aforementioned Word Association thread, the idea is not wrong. 'poly's reputation as the Troll Pit is a real thing, is indeed a problem, and is, incidentally, hard-earned. I've been on both sides of it since I dove into the OT cesspool a few months ago, so maybe my perspective is useful to the rest of you.

The OT is what it is - if I'd taken over ownership of ACS in Aeson's place I, too, would have left it alone. Duh; for good or ill, it's the heart of the forum for many years now. It would be suicide to crack down much - Aeson allows a few areas of vile expression I'd have done otherwise, but the basic approach is sound and sensible. Leave those guys throwing their poop at each other, ban anyone who takes it out of OT, work on bringing on-topic back to life.

This is just the reality. OT being there and being what it is indeed a problem in recruiting many departed members back, but a bigger problem is making them aware in the first place that there's a new sheriff in town, old new deputy Ming is looking forward to, and I quote, "BRING THE HAMMER DOWN!" on anyone who takes it out of OT, and 'poly seems to have finally turned to corner on a long decline. Civil OT is there for new people who like it civil, old-timers and newbs alike.

This can be a great gaming forum again. It enjoys high search engine ratings due to its status as the First Civ Site, lurkers are plentiful, and content generation is being looked into. It can be done, and Aeson, who makes his living off internet gaming stuff and is a universally-liked fellow for a reason, is ideally suited to lead us up the mountain.

You can pay me later, boss. American, not some weird dragon bucks.
                AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Bypassing the autocensor is very easy. Doing so is allowed in the OT, but not allowed in other areas of the site. This allowance falls under the "grandfathered" rules of the OT and would need significant user support to change.

There are other forms of monetization that I will implement for the OT that will probably work better than ads anyways. (I think most of the OT users are Poly+ which doesn't see ads IIRC, or has ad blockers.)

To clarify, you can talk about the OT. You just can't characterize it or it's users in a negative way when talking about it in on-topic areas. You can address posters directly, but you can't make them the topic you are addressing. Also, moderator action isn't an allowed subject. I will allow it for discussion of my own decisions, but if you have a problem with a moderator or admin otherwise, it will need to be take up in private.

The on-topic (this includes COT) is a place where respect for other posters should always be maintained. I know its easy to slip up since this is a somewhat new development. But I do expect issues that do pop up to be resolved quickly and with respect for the time and efforts moderators put in to maintain that friendly environment.

Comment

@ BU...Its not the heart now, duh, it doesn't contribute to maintaining the site. Google pulled its advertising because of the...hmm, unpleasantness there. Its a ball and chain which contributes nothing to "be a great gaming forum again", and is one of the reasons its in decline.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
                      You can pay me later, boss. American, not some weird dragon bucks.
                      Right, no Gold or Gems for you

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                        @ BU...Its not the heart now, duh, it doesn't contribute to maintaining the site. Google pulled its advertising because of the...hmm, unpleasantness there. Its a ball and chain which contributes nothing to "be a great gaming forum again", and is one of the reasons its in decline.
                        It is the tail wagging the dog - I said so in there recently, and Aeson thanked the post and none of the trollz protested. I said it in a context of pointing out that it's in their interest to help keep the dog alive.

Half those guys are ok, and most of the rest aren't too bad - I do have to avoid saying certain things I know will set certain people off, but the ones I have to avoid entirely are few. Going to a little trouble to avoid making enemies of everyone who ever annoys me has paid off. I'm mostly in there because I like to chat, and I've gotten astoundingly little static about my past affiliation even though I have trolled them all extensively with panda images/smilies. A lot of them are terrible enemies to make - but then, you and I are, too, aren't we? Nothin' personal, but we both are.

The bottom line, and let's concentrate on that, because we're both on or over the line talking about OT and its denizens, is the owner has spoken on that issue. He's trying to have his OT and his Civil OT, too, and I think it's doable. Them OT d00ds we're talking about are gamers - when you're building a community, some of your people get on the bus before others - self biased and Lori got on early, others will follow, and if action can be gotten in the on-topic gaming areas, most of the rest will participate and behave.
                        AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                        JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                          I pulled the advertising because I will need time to implement monetization that will work given the rules there. Google specifically complained about one thread in the archives which had a link that I assume used to be more tasteful than it now is (it may have even been a made-up link). It was promptly deleted. That sort of thing is bound to happen in the OT (and maybe even in the COT, we will see) and so Adsense will not be used on the OT going forward.

I would say the OT is the heart of the site, since much of the content on the site is created and maintained by posters who are active in the OT. Without the OT we wouldn't have any active posters to draw upon for building the site back up. WHen CivBE was announced for instance, that's where the first thread showed up. That's where moderators were found.

COT can also be a very valuable place that contributes in the same way, and if it's what it can be, even moreso than the OT since the OT is more an aquired taste that won't have as broad an appeal. But will take time to grow.

Comment

I'm going to close this thread now. The topic has been addressed. Any further discussion about the nature/history of the OT should be done in the OT, where it can be discussed without causing so many problems with on-topic rules.

Comment

Working...
                            X