No announcement yet.

New player, advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petek's got you covered, but I just wanted to add some advice: Don't buy clean reactor for your front-line troops, it's usually a crummy deal. Instead, buy it for units that are expected to remain in play for the entire game: Formers and garrisons, basically.

Comment

• THANKS GUYS, that covered almost everything.
      Still curious about the NONE unit concept when you get them from a HUT closer to another faction base. Assuming when you're closer to yours that it gets assigned to the closest base. (sorry for the CIV references)

Fantastic that I can still get a quick response on a game this old. (the continued interest is why I jumped at it for 2.59)
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Certainly there are rules about if it is an independent or supported unit you get, but I'm not sure distance is a great part of it. My favorite worlds are 240 x 368 (they crash for me if bigger) with lots of water. Iv'e experienced to get several independent units despite all the other factions is at the other end of the world. A guess is that discovery of the chassis type has an influence. On small worlds distance may be more important.

Don't worry about slow response time on questions - there are a small handfull of people regularly checking here.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• I'm actually quite surprised that anyone is even answering.
          A few hours is nothing.
          AND the answers are much appreciated.

I just figured since the game shared so much with the civII engine that the non support might be the same.

You can bet I'll be paying more attention to it.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Just wait 10-15 years from now after having played it regularly in that period, then you'll also be one of us

I've never played Civ II, so I don't now how similar they are, but the AI is just as stupid as in Civ III, though fungus is way more dangerous than barbarians.

A couple of practicalities :

'E' is your friend. The balance of energy/research can change pretty much.

Clicking on COMMLINK and then rightclick on a faction gives you information about it (best after The Empath guild) without disturbing them.

If you have put a number of items in the production queue, then you can save that with right clicking the queue (and load it in another colony).
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Rah, do you remember Ned ? The person that gave name to Nedaverse and having very special meanings about Belgiums guilt in WWI ?

Well, one day you will bow down and respect his works, but that must wait until fungus bloom will become a menace to you

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• I did check and I indeed got a independent unit since the pod was closer to another faction's base. I'll verify it
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• In this save I just popped a pod and got a unity rover without support - and belive me - there are noone in the vicinity

Edit: First of all, sorry if I have written obvious things previosus, second - the saves include blatant cheatings galore
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BlackCat; July 29, 2015, 20:51.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• This is in gross need of editing and formatting -which I will do, soon- but in case someone who hasn't seen it and want that beginners' tip thing: http://alphacentauri2.info/SMACX%20B...Crossfire.html
                    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

• Yeah blackcat, you're correct. I must have been mistaken when i thought i got a free unit that was attached. More thinking, it worked that way in civII. DOH
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• That no support happens with the units popping all the time - I think it has to do with proximity to a base, but I'm not sure.
                        AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                        JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
                        X