Can I See Your Weapon ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing!

"My acid wit and razor edged tongue." I'd put these right up there with the pointy hammer in the first pic.

Very strange thing to wield in combat at the time it was made. Swords, axes, no, give me that pointy hammer please...
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Not that strange at all. Would you go camping without a can opener?
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I was in a fight ~30 years ago with a dude using ninchuks (?), I had my trusty Tennessee Thumper

he swung his ninchuks 2-3 times back and forth to impress me and they broke, one piece went flying off into the street and it was over before I had to crush his skull and go to jail

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
          I'd imagine most people would grab something nearby. The idea of having a 'day to day home defense weapon' however just seems really funny.
          I'd grab something nearby as well. Whether that something is a pistol, rifle, or shotgun varies.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Depending on where I am, I have a choice of 9mm, .45, .327 magnum, shortbarrel shotgun, AR-15, Viking handaxe, horseman's morningstar flail, longsword, gladius, katana, baseball bat, and several daggers.

I am not touching the executioner's sword, however close it is. Too heavy for a decent recovery on a swing, and probably the hardest one to explain to the cops afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
              baseball bat
              I always figured you for a baseball-bat-nut
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Depending on where I am, I have a choice of 9mm, .45, .327 magnum, shortbarrel shotgun, AR-15, Viking handaxe, horseman's morningstar flail, longsword, gladius, katana, baseball bat, and several daggers.

I am not touching the executioner's sword, however close it is. Too heavy for a decent recovery on a swing, and probably the hardest one to explain to the cops afterward.
                Dang man, you live in a crime area or what? I had a chance to buy an AR15 in Oregon for only $100, in good condition but I was leaving. Here in the Philippines I can get a full on M16 over the counter. Always wanted one, was a very good shot with the thing. Of the ancient weapons which is your favorite?

Comment

The longsword. It's a replica, but well made, sharp (bought it that way!), light, balanced, and the metal is actually springy, a rarity in replicas. Not a work of art by any stretch, just a simple, utilitarian blade. The axe is cheap, cheap, cheap. The flail is cheap too, but the ball is solid, heavy and spiky -- it will definitely do damage, but to who? It's good for at least one solid hit, but then the ball will probably fly off in some random direction soon thereafter. The katana and and wakizashi are works of art. The gladius is cheap, dull and poorly attached at the hilt, but heavy for its size. The baseball bat was handmade at a fair at my old highschool. Daggers are daggers.

The executioner's sword is in the arabian style, and looks something like this:

I'd say the metal is a quarter inch thick at the back, and it's sharp, sharp, sharp.

Comment

Yeesh! Now that's a collection Mad Monk.

Comment

The naming of parts.

A faus or faussal:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fausal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	9100707

This can be seen in the Maciejowski Bible with a handle shaped similar to that of an umbrella's.

What the well-dressed man at arms was sporting- an aketon :

Name:	aketon.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	9100708

alternatively, a gambeson :

Name:	gambeson_leather_1.jpg
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	9100709

Two kinds of quilted armour, with the difference being that an aketon usually came sans sleeves.

How did the mediaveal Flemish greet unwelcome early morning visitors ?

Godendac/goedendaeg of course (literally good day/morning) :

Name:	goedendr.jpg
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	9100710

I think they'd get the point. There was a similar device known as a plancon-a-picot or chandelier, but the godendac would appear (judging by contemporary reports) to have had a cutting edge as well as the stabby, pointy bit.

The peasants were revolting :

Name:	Cep_bojowy_0211.jpg
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	9100711

and might sometimes have adapted their flails to look like this- known as the flagellum, this would be the version carried by professional soldiers. The shorter version is probably more familiar, thanks to Hollywood/British post-war films, but the morningstar on a flail handle may not actually have seen that much service.

Something of a rarity in European armies of the time- a Jewish soldier, courtesy Ian Heath, from the 'Las Huelgas Apocalypse' :

The Apocalypse: http://warfare.uphero.com/Medieval/B...20-MsM.429.htm
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I really hope you are on a watch list.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Around here? HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.

Comment

Well, when you travel to a civilized part of the country, you should be.

How's that?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Why? It's not like I take them with me.

Comment

haha it's a trick

everyone should be on a watch list

and is
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X