• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychologists are finally taking a long, hard look at spite

Psychologists are finally taking a long, hard look at spite
    The Week
    Catherine Garcia 4:39am ET

Thinkstock

Psychologists have spent years studying selfishness, greed, and narcissism, and now it's time for spite to have its turn in the spotlight. Dr. David K. Marcus, a psychologist at Washington State University, was spared the temptation of spite when he discovered that hardly any attention has been paid to this particular bad behavior. "Spitefulness is such an intrinsically interesting subject, and it fits with so many people's everyday experience, that I was surprised to see how little mention there was of it in the psychology literature," he tells The New York Times.

Marcus and his colleagues gave 946 college students and 297 other adults a 17-item survey that asked them to rate, on a "spitefulness scale," statements like "I would be willing to take a punch if it meant someone I did not like would receive two punches" (who wouldn't?) and "If I opposed the election of an official, I would happily see the person fail even if that failure hurt my community" (ouch, that one's kind of brutal).

The researchers found that partisan politics especially fill people with spite, as do acrimonious divorces. They also determined that men are usually more spiteful than women, and young adults more spiteful than their elders. And if you are spiteful, you're probably also callous and have poor self-esteem. Rarely did spitefulness go hand-in-hand with agreeableness or conscientiousness in an individual. You might yet be redeemed, though, spiteful people of the world; evolutionary theorists are also taking a look at the "bright side" of spite, to see if it had any role in developing commendable traits like a sense of fairness and cooperation.
    http://theweek.com/article/index/259...-look-at-spite

See also http://apolyton.net/forumdisplay.php/147-Off-Topic
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

In response, the spiteful took a long, hard look back at psychologists and advised them to get a proper degree.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

-You left out calling them "'*****".

No pasarán

Comment

Spite is an emotion I've only ever felt on Apolyton. In all other scenarios, the idea of intentionally harming others for the sake of harming them alone seems entirely repugnant, irrational, and inefficient to me. Somehow, on Apolyton, I sometimes lose my temper and say mean things of for the sake of it. Maybe because it's virtually consequence free and I need to blow off steam somehow. Maybe because of the denizens of Apolyton really are despicable people who deserve my scorn.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm selective about who I'll troll (and Oerdin).

I do for the lulz, y'know?

-And letting people I genuinely despise (who are not Oerdin) have it isn't any fun. There are a few here, and I do not acknowledge their existence. Spite kills lulz.

No pasarán

Comment

Spite is a sin, and always bad.

I read the source article. It's better. This one is even misleading. In the source article they talk about game theory. Very interesting.
            Some might cheat because they expect others to.

Still spite is a sin.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
              I'm selective about who I'll troll (and Oerdin).

I do for the lulz, y'know?

-And letting people I genuinely despise (who are not Oerdin) have it isn't any fun. There are a few here, and I do not acknowledge their existence. Spite kills lulz.
              Ahh, you love me.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

No, I do not. You make a lot of sense, often, talking about politics and military stuff, and I believe in giving credit where it is due. But you are immature and lacking in character. You have a few good points and I don't despise you so much I can't stand to talk to you, but that's all.

Incidentally, Kid has a point.

No pasarán

Comment

Psychology as a profession has been founded on spite. Every prescription ever made is evidence of this:

"You feel bad, here ... take this. We don't really know what it will do outside of causing your willy to not work so well."

Comment

Methinks you have feelings of spite toward the profession of psychology.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

He has feelings of loves their money towards advertisers and 'responsibility' towards his 'native labor force'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aoverlord.gif
Views:	6
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	9100448

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
                        No, I do not. You make a lot of sense, often, talking about politics and military stuff, and I believe in giving credit where it is due. But you are immature and lacking in character. You have a few good points and I don't despise you so much I can't stand to talk to you, but that's all.

Incidentally, Kid has a point.
                        Well, I'm not saying that doesn't have the ring of truth but could you, maybe, give me examples of being immature and lacking in character? So I can work on my self improvement, of course. :saint:

Edit: WRT to Kid... You mean that spite is a sin? Sure, but he's pretty spiteful himself so pot meet kettle. BTW I do give you credit for being even handed in your appraisals even if we disagree.

Comment

[shrugs] Spite IS sinful. His attitude in other areas does not negate his correctness in this.

And I'll pretend your question was sincere, and answer, because there is a non-zero chance you will learn something useful.

1.) Recall what I said recently about being a good sport. In improv comedy classes, not that I ever took any, they teach about "yes and" - the concept that it's funnier to agree with whatever outrageous thing has been said, suppressing the natural instinct to argue. Go along with the joke instead, and try to make it even wilder and funnier; Aeson does this all the time, BTW, and it works. This troll pit doesn't have a lot of values, but these guys DO value style in trolling. It's easy to tell when your goat has been gotten, because you turn into a 12 year-old and start with the playground stuff. In our go-round last week, you all but claimed my whole family smells like doo-doo. Sometimes the kid-stuff is funny -I did a little of it that time- but it needs to come as a surprise to work. Comedy depends on surprise. You know what my master stroke in that exchange was? I completely shifted gears and hit you with a paragraph of cold hard truth. I'm doing it again now. You only called me a loser one more time, then, and went away spanked. Next time, come up with some clever responses, and I'll be gentler. Watch that tendency to give tells that your feelings are really hurt/back is up. Your status around here would be a lot higher (well, less low) if you weren't such easy meat.

2.) PMs are private for a REASON. Note that that rule is actually enforced in this place of low standards. Not respecting that someone chose to say something to you privately is poor character. No one trusts a scumbag who advertises that he can't be trusted to even GET the details RIGHT when he's spilling his guts. Pulling crap like that behind someone's back? That's cowardice added to your low-rent lineup of traits.

3.) And this is a big one, so pay attention. Adding insult to injury is a very bad thing. When someone confronts about your sleazy offences, insults and irresponsible speculation about your accuser is just making it worse, and is the action of a child. From a man your age, it's pathetic and sad. A MAN would cop, apologize and do better.

You DO think you're a MAN, don't you, meat?

That was cathartic. Be smart, chose your shots, cross me only with style, and I may not feel the need again. You're more than half-bright, Oerdin; you can do it.

Maybe.

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            Well, I'm not saying that doesn't have the ring of truth but could you, maybe, give me examples of being immature and lacking in character? So I can work on my self improvement, of course. :saint:

Edit: WRT to Kid... You mean that spite is a sin? Sure, but he's pretty spiteful himself so pot meet kettle. BTW I do give you credit for being even handed in your appraisals even if we disagree.
                            Damn, all I said was spite is a sin. How could you take that wrong and then judge me in spite?
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Those are nice and all but do you have examples? I'm especially thinking of #2 and #3? Without examples it is kind of like saying "I suggest you don't conduct pederasty with your pet dog"; yeah, that's true but examples of the person doing the conduct claimed is kind of key to the implication you are making.
                              Last edited by Dinner; April 2, 2014, 00:17.

Comment

Working...
                              X